[Epic] [E40k] (new to the list) Ramming & overruns??

From: Steve Wik <bosco_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:39:10 -0700

Hah! Here's where you're all hiding! At last I'm (mostly)free of
alt.miniature.warhammer!!

Anyway, I've just started playing E40k and absolutely love it! I've
also collected all the old rule sets and suppliments to determine what
set I want to use and I'm actually really happy with E40k.

  I was curious if anyone here has any ideas about how
Ramming&Overruns/Stomp Attacks (ala 1st ed. SM/Titanicus) could be
implemented in E40K? I tried my hand at a few silly attempts, but they
didn't work so well. Or at all. The one that does almost work is just a
straight 2D6 roll + armor, but looking at the vehicle stats made me
realize that there's not much of a range so you might as well almost
just roll 1D6 with the highest score winning, but that sucks so bad that
you might as well not even bother (gee, do you suppose that's why they
left ramming out of the rules?). The only part of my idea that I like
was having the vehicles move 2D6cm in a random direction in the case of
a tie or if the winner's score was only 1 or 2 higher than the loser's.
(this makes it possible to have insane pile-ups of randomly crashing
vehicles as each impact is handled as ANOTHER ram/overrun...etc. etc...,
hee hee) and any impacts with solid terrain features like buildings and
cliff-faces would destroy the vehicle on a 3+ on 1D6. (making it
possible to win the ram/overrun and still lose the vehicle).

I dunno, is this just stupid? I just like the idea of desperation
ramming a battle fortress or titan (or infantry!) with my Rhinos once
they've served their purpose or as a final gesture of frustration when
destruction of my forces is imminent (a foolish waste, I'm sure, but
hey, it'd sure be fun to try!)

Steve