Re: [Epic] Epic Plastic Sprues

From: Max Maynard-Maloney <dormammu_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 03:07:05 -0800 (PST)

> New to the thread, but I absolutely DON'T BUY the idea that GW doesn't
> make a profit with their plastics. If they didn't, they wouldn't do
> them.

Of course they do. It's just that the initial investment is enormous for
plastic molds -- I believe someone quoted ~20,000 pounds for a tank mold?

> I'm not saying that ALL things have made a profit...ie the
> plastics from Mighty Empires had to set them back. But the tanks for
> the imperial guard, or any other plastic tank they've done for 40K.
> They simply won't do something for the heck of it since they have
> shareholders to answer to. GW has been doing too many plastic kits as
> of late for the argument that they don't make money on them to be
> valid.

I only know that the IG tanks haven't turned much profit. If you notice
the recent vehicles, all the Marine (and Sisters of Battle) are old kits
with metal add-ons. The Falcon is new of course, but even though it is
selling at an unbelievable rate they are releasing a WH40K Fire Prism to
get more sales out of the mold (same kit with metal add-ons). The
mediocre sales of IG tanks is preventing the Studio from developing the
Adeptus Mechanicus for 40K as they would be tank heavy.

Max

"Run, humans! Run for your sweaty lives! Run till you hearts burst and
your lungs collapse! You cannot run away from ME! Everything that is,
IS MINE!" --the dread Dormammu, Doctor Strange #9