Re: [Epic] Epic Plastic Sprues

From: Doug Burton <daburton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:59:27 +0100

Max Maynard-Maloney wrote:

> > As for clawing back their investment, at some point it becomes cheaper
> > to do lead. We're damn near there. Their sprue [rices have gone up
> > dramatically the last few years...
> >
> Apparently, GW has barely broken even on their WH40K IG tanks. And those
> are about 4 years old? However, for Epic infantry I would prefer plastic
> over pewter even if they cost the same either way. Plastic glue is so
> helpful for working at that scale -- I can't imagine doing infantry
> conversions if I had to work with pewter and superglue.

New to the thread, but I absolutely DON'T BUY the idea that GW doesn't
make a profit with their plastics. If they didn't, they wouldn't do
them. I'm not saying that ALL things have made a profit...ie the
plastics from Mighty Empires had to set them back. But the tanks for
the imperial guard, or any other plastic tank they've done for 40K.
They simply won't do something for the heck of it since they have
shareholders to answer to. GW has been doing too many plastic kits as
of late for the argument that they don't make money on them to be
valid. It's a shame, though, that the new plastic epic, which are
extremely cool, are so darned expensive. I would love the new imperial
guard figures, but since I bought into epic WAY back when, I have
literally thousands of normal troopers when they packed them 200
troopers to a box (and 40 or so rough riders...etc...etc).
Doug