Re: house rules (was Re: [Epic] General Enquiry)

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:08:39 -0500

Stephen Sheldon wrote:

> > 1. Barrages: I don't like the rules for placing a single template and
> >
> > Each barrage places a separate template. These may not overlap
> > (I don't care if the cardboard overlaps, you just don't get to
> > add firepower twice) unless all targets in the detachment are
> > covered.
> >
> My group has always played this way.

I would have until QA or a white dwarf (don't remember) said to use one
template for all. Don't like that, thus what I thought the rule was
becomes the house rule.

> > 2. Strategy Ratings: If two armies have equal strategy ratings, why
> > should a single die roll hurt one or the other all game?
> >
> > If the sides have equal strategy ratings, but 3 initiative counters
> > for each side into the cup.
> Same, I always played this, I thought this was in the rules.

Rules say to roll a die, one side is assigned honorary high SR for the
day.

> > 4. Line of sight and terrain: Although I like the overall simplified
> >
> > Line of sight is determined by looking from the firer to the
> > target (or vice-versa). This is easily "common-sensed",
> > especially with detachment fire. Units do not block LOS.
> >
> > Units just inside the edge of woods (and such) are in cover.
> > Units further inside the terrain or behind it are out of LOS.
> >
> Is this not how the rules state it?

Line of sight rule is that you can see over any terrain that is lower
than you. Units in the middle of woods are in cover, but in LOS. Units
behind cover are out of LOS. Has something to do with assumption of how
big terrain pieces are, but I like this better.

>> [ my skimmer rules]
> Makes sense, I am not sure how big the pop up problem is though.

It's just something that bugs me. The angle required to see over some
terrain would put the skimmer _way_ high in the air. This is similar to
the problem with the official LOS rule, where you can see behind that 3"
building if you're on a 4 inch building.

> > 6. Vortex Missiles/death strikes: d6 death rays under the template is
>
> I like the rule where if the missile hits a detachment it does D6 death
> rays spread out amongst the units under the template, and a war engine hit
> takes D6 AT hits, with one critical if it has no shields.

I like that alright, except it's a bit wordy.

andy

--
Andy Skinner
askinner_at_...