RE: [Epic] house rules (was Re: General Enquiry)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:14:02 -0600

> When moving units into woods, we would just say (in
> cases where it wasn't obvious), "yeah, those guys are/aren't
> on the edge." Still very simple. I have trouble playing
> E40k because I see woods and I think, "AH! Safe haven for
> my daemons!" And then I move them in there and they get
> riddled with bullets. =(

--------> I just got tired of asking who was what. We played with a lot
of trees most of the time. I can go either way, as long as everyone is
clear beforehand, though the E40K approach does hurt the CC-only troops
a little more.

> I don't really like the E40k method of handling woods
> and buildings because it means there are NO places to hide
> from popups, period. Plus, it's counter-intuitive (at least
> to me).

-------> The intuitive part might depend on how big your woods are. The
pop-up point is a good one, though.

> Are deathstrikes a main force unit in E40k? Considering
> that they were support-card only in SM/TL, it seems like they
> should be only available under the arty support section. Might
> make fielding them a little more limiting.
--------> I think they're on the support side of the table, but even
then, the main force options are artillery, which most IG players are
going to have anyway. Max in one detach is about 10 - not much of a
limit.

> > Leviathans are supposed to be command centers, so if someone
> > throws 6 of them out in one battle, I want to know what the hell his
> > force is supposed to represent - the planetary HQ? Points-wise they
> > aren't that bad, but fluff-wise, 1 or 2 is probably the most you
> would
> > see in one fight.Wanna use 3? Give me a reason - might help start a
> > campaign!
>
> Mmmmm, I'm pretty sure that according to AoI, even normally
> there are multiple Levs behind the lines. So I don't see a problem
> with sticking a handful of them on the board. Rules-wise, in SM/TL
> you'd be daft to only field one since if it pops you're got BIG
> problems.

---------> AOI did mention that if you had multiples, they could hand
off command if one was nuked, but it also mentioned each one was
something like a regimental HQ, so you wouldn't expect tons of them in
an area as small as the table represents. And in SM/TL superheavy
anythings just weren't that tough once the shields were gone. At least
now they take multiple hits...

> The main problem I have with fluff arguments is (1) fluff
> is not rules, it's color text and means nothing, at best it gives
> you an idea of what a 'typical' force is made of but who says you
> always have to play a typical army? And (2) (more importantly)
> different people have different interpretations of the fluff. As
> an example, in WH40k I've heard arguments both for and against the
> all-aspect eldar army, both based on the background. Which side
> is right?

---------> Means nothing? So would you pay for "generic unrealistic
science fantasy rules" with "generic unrealistic minis"? I'd bet not,
Chaos Boy! All that codex stuff and background is what makes it
different from all those other games out there. How about a SPace Wolves
Army with no close combat troops? A Goff army with none? An evil sunz
army with no bikes or buggies? A Khorne army with all ranged attacks?
These things are just wrong, and I would say that based on fluff. Maybe
as a one-off thing they would be interesting, but as a normal army they
would be odd, to say the least.

> > And really, I wish there was a better name for it
> than"cheese",
> > as it's more a violation of fluff than anything else, and I usually
> > apply "cheese" to exploiting game holes/wrinkles.
> > Cheese I would reserve for extreme things like Ork armies with
> > no boyz - just nobz and skarboyz, IG armies with no normal infantry,
> > Chaos which is entirely marines and imperial equipment but no
> daemons,
> > that kind of thing.
>
> What's wrong with no daemons?
---------> They printed that army list at the front of the book as
"Imperials".

> Or are talking about Chaos
> in SM/TL with a bare minimum of GDs & IG arty/SH tank allies?

------------> Those annoy me sometimes, but at least the cards forced
you to take some GD's.

Chris Miller
(thought this one might draw you out...)