Re: [Epic] Using old style bases in E40k??

From: Duran Goodyear <dug96_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 14:55:01 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Steve Wik wrote:

> I know that generally this is acceptable, but I was wondering
> specifically about things like rough riders and bikes which used to be
> done two to a base and are now done three to a base. I like to use the
> old style bases for these because they just seem more mobile and I can
> make more units with the same amount of infantry sprues. Is there any
> reason why anyone would care? I can't think of any, but just thought
> I'd ask...

        I agree with you, the old bases allow more units to be assembled wuth
        less bases, I liked how GW decided that these new bases,
        requiring more individual models, did not necessitate the
        increase in models sold to you for the same price.
        More of GW making money every way they can.

        Personaly. I don't care. and it would seem dumb to switch them over...

> While we're on the subject, I also thought I'd see what differences you
> all really think there are between the old and new bases. I've heard
> the new ones are "more tactical"(whatever that means) and make better
> use of cover (??) and the old ones are "more vulnerable to barrages" but
> this dosen't seem correct to me. If anything, the smaller bases are
> less likely to be affected by barrages since you can keep 'em father
> apart easier, whereas it seems that the new stands would tend to get
> more "bunched up" in tight spaces easier. It also seems like the old
> bases are far better at hiding behind stuff than the new ones are
> (depending on how large/small your buildings/rubble/trees/etc. are).
> The only real benefit my (admittedly inexperienced) eyes can see with
> the new bases is ease of painting...

        I personaly like the older ones cause they have less cross section,
        making them easier to hide, but the issue with barrages is relevent. the
        newer ones, being longer, have the ability to be out side of the
        barrage. I belive the rule is that 2/3rds of the stand have to be
        covered for it to count...

        Though this varies on how close you play your troops. I try to
        find the best balance between distance, and their ability to cover
        each other.
        with in the rules of course.

Duran
du96_at_...