[Epic] Blast Markers

From: Mike Looney <e41k_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:51:57 -0600

Ok, warning this is a rant.

<rant>
Several persons on the list have complained that the current blast marker
rules "end the game to soon" or "make objective not important" or other
such like, and have suggested rules to fix said same problem.

While I know that "realism" and "Games Workshop Game" should not be used
at the same time, I think that the current blast marker rules are the
best thing to happen to war gaming after the invention of the combat
results table, as they tend to end a game way before you have needed to
kill off 75+% of the enemy forces, some thing that only happens VERY
rarely in real life. In fact no more that 10 or 15 "major" battles in
all of history ended that way.

While obviously related to the Command Decision "hits" system, it is an
improvement on that. It is a simple method, that with VERY small amounts
of tweaking can be used to reflect a wide variety of battle field command
and control problems, unit morale, fire suppression and other "fog of
war" effects. When I finish "Imperial Space" (E41K is the start on that,
BTW) blast markers will be a major part. While I am at it, there is very
strong evidence that Space Marine, 1st ed, was based, in the main, on
"Combined Arms" the "Modern" (i.e. post WW II) version of Command
Decision. This bit came out on the CD mailing list where some one
wanted help in translating WH40K stuff to Command Decision stats. E40K,
it should be noted, is based more on AT/SM than SM/TL.

In my view, and I could be wrong, the persons that are whining about
blast markers "end a game to soon", versus needing to "break" x amount of
the enemy detachments or needing to play "capture the flag with bolters",
have to much of a "GW only" game back ground. Epic 40K is, despite the
dumb ass marketing that went into it, the first GW game done in a long
time that feels like it was in fact written by a war gamer, not a figure
painter. (example, command troops, even "Supreme Commanders" are not that
big of a deal in E40K. Compare the results of loosing one to the results
in ANY other current GW game).

In a later post I will be posting the E41K rules on "troop quality", in
which blast markers and blast marker removal will figure heavily.
</rant>

--
The Epic 41K project
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/epic