Re: [Epic] Using old style bases in E40k??

From: Chris Salvato <csalvato_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:30:53 -0600

>> Why would you? When the unit takes a hit, all of the bikes on the stand
>> die.
>
>But squads can be from 1 to 3 bikes in size. The "all-die-at-once"
>rule means that one bike is exactly as vulnerable as three. It
>certainly lessens the value of buying more bikes. If you want
>to put nine (for example) bikes in a detachment, you're better
>off buying nine squads of one each - same firepower, but it
>takes three times as many hits to kill them.

I believe that the confusion here comes about at the abstraction of units
in E40k. I shall try to explain.

Okay, Epic 40k takes its units from the Warhammer 40k army lists (like it
or not.) In 40k, a "Squad" of Space Marine Bikers is 3 Space Marines on a
bikes. For comparison, In 40k a "Squad" of Space Marines is 2 5-man combat
squads. Therefore, a "Unit" in E40k = a "Squad" in WH40k. Therefore:

One Bike Unit in E40k = 3 bikes on one stand (or two, as previous versions
of the game had set forth) -- NEVER a single Bike on its own. (See below)

One Space Marine unit in e40k = 5 space marine models on a single stand

Now, the reasoning:

A Space Marine unit (5 marines on a stand) haas a FP of 1; a Bike Unit (2
or 3 bikes on a stand) also has a FP of 1.

As a contrast, Attack bikes in 40k operate autonomously of any squads; they
are their own unit. Therefore, they become a singly-mounted unit in e40k.

Now, the reason that I would frown upon a sinngle bike per stand is that
you would be expecting me to accept that a single space marine on a Bike
has equal firepower to 5 space marines on foot. The only reason I would
accept Bike mounted 2 to a stand is if the player is a convert from SM/TL,
since that was the way they were mounted up until E40k.

As far as the army lists:
The army list says something like :

Bike Squadron: 1-3 Bike units.

This means 1-3 *stands* of bikes, not 1-3 individual bikes.

But the whole idea is this: Each infantry "unit" in e40k represents a
group of actual individual soldiers, whom all comntribute to the Firepower,
Assault, etc. attributes. The only models which stand for single units are
tanks, vehicles, etc, because they are large enough and powerful enough in
the scale to warrant individual attention. The Attack Bike, to continue
the contrast, carries a heavy weapon in addition to its twin bolters, and
therefore accounts for its FP of 2 despite consisting of 2 marines. Bikes
are simply mobile infantry, lightly armed, and therefore not significant
enough to warrant being based singly.

I really hope that helps.

Shidara