Re: [Epic] Blast Markers

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 22:33:33 -0700

Sauron Moridor wrote:

> Sauron1 writes; Thane;
>
> I beleave as you do that we take what GW puts out with a grain of salt
> and use, ignore or rework Epic to what pleases us. On the other hand the
> idea of the blast markers is an inovative one. And its possible
> expansion into other periods and scales has been a topic at my own
> Wargame club.

First of all, Zyklon B was innovative; that doesn't make it good. Secondly,
innovative may be too strong a word. There have been plenty of war games which have
used reduced stats for showing temporary battle dispersion. Usually, this has been
flipping a counter over, but a few have used markers which reduce stats for each
marker on the unit.

I like the effects of BM's on normal units. I think that if you can shut sown a WE
with one blast marker, easily delivered from a disrupt shot, then the WE's should
cost a lot less. I think that winning a game by hiding some nightspinners/plague
engines/biovores/pulsas and laying 10 BM's in one turn on the only unit which could
assault them, is a lame gaming experience. It's not hard to do, you don't have to try
to "cheese" out an army to do it. I made a solution that kept the useful disruption
effects of BM's, without the absurd morale loss they cause. Now you can suppress a
unit, then kill it properly while they cower in their trenches.

> As long as every one at the table, understands and accepts the rules in play, then it is an even playing surface to game on.

This was exactly my point. There's no point insulting people as "whiners" because
they're trying to improve the playing experience and tactical level of a game. No one
was telling him to play this way, it was a suggestion for people who found blast
markers a real downer on the game due to morale effects.

> The WGR changes over the years have caused enough fracturing of my club
> thank you. Longtime WRG 7th+ gamers play in smaller groups and do not
> even attend the same club nights as old friends due to arguments over
> that set!
>
> The OLD Guard set of rules went so far off track, it took a new set
> Napoleons Battles to resurect 15mm Napoleonic gaming at my club that had
> been dormant for years. Jonny Reb and another set of ACW rules seem to
> co-exist because they use the same base size.

Though I enjoy playing E40K, I've found it far less enjoyable and stimulating than
2nd edition. Judging by the few players left from 2nd edition times, that is not a
rare sentiment. I may never forgive GW for jerking our group around, especially the
three players who bought SM/TL starter boxes and then couldn't get any miniatures for
six months. I'm not sure what your above comments were leading to, but I've spent
enough on the game to feel justified insulting the new rules to my heart's content.
It's very cathartic. Try it!

> Its my hobby, my buck and I will Wargame the way I want, for the fun of
> it.

Good. Did I say you shouldn't?

> sauron12netrover.com

Thane