Re: [Epic] terrain questions (geo hex?)

From: Sauron Moridor <sauron1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 22:38:19 -0500

Sauron1 writes;

        As a prolific terrain builder, the actual problem with a shallow hill
slope is that it is week structurally. GW even with the cliffs they use
for there hills base them on hardboard. I have created hundreds of hills
with styrofoam, hydrocal industreal grade plaster, and acrylic paints
over the years.

        The individual ones with shallow slopes all have at least a hardboard
base for strengh. Keeping the hardboard pinned down during the plaster
drying time is a must. The pink or blue dense styrofoam slopes can be
cut with a "HOT WIRE" unit available from a local craft store. Layers
are glued with panel glue and shaped with a coarse auto body putty file
into shape.

        Painting and sealing are done with one coat of acrylic paint mixed with
20% white glue. Once the paint is applied, pour on the white glue and
work it in. Next sprinkle the area liberally with fine children's play,
or even ordinary sifted beach sand. Work the sand and glue into cover
the entire hill and it will act as a filler for the hill layer joints.
Set it aside to dry. subtle colour effects can be sprayed on with
acrylic spray cans after the hill dries.

        The resulting hills have a hard sandpaper surface. Sets of 24"x24" or
24"x48" particle board based Terrain boards I made for my club 15+ years
ago are still used every week.

        That old terrain builder( Did I mention my Necromunda Terrain will be
featured in Terra-Genisis soon? ) sauron1_at_...