Re: [Epic] terrain questions (geo hex?)

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:36:47 -0700

Thane Morgan wrote:

> Sauron Moridor wrote:
> >
> > Sauron1 writes;Buildings!
> >
> > Well as I have dozens, from the SM1 & 2 boxes, as well as a set of the
> > TL ones, but after a while,they are all rather boring.
> >
> > I have found variation in cutting up one or two of those water filter
> > cartrages that are anout 12" long and are a seriries of rings. Just cut
> > them up. glue a round object to cover the hollow centre and spray them
> > grey and they can be anything from an apartment building to a factory.
> >
> > I have used N guage bridges and buildings as well.
> >
> > sauron1_at_...
>
> I'm trying something for buildings even as we speak. I found a really
> cool plastic packing tray from some odd device at work, which when
> inverted made a really cool industrial complex. I'm using it to cast the
> building with plaster of paris. I though it was slick enough to get the
> buildings out afterwards, but now I'm not so sure. Crisco next time. If
> I can get it out, I hope to use it to cast several multiples of sections
> of the mold. I'll try to find a scanner if it works.
>
> Thane

It worked OK. I damaged part of the mold pulling it out; I think a layer of water
formed a strong vacuum when trying to remove it; I'll grease it with a spray next
time. I made it with several batches of Plaster of Paris and got a few voids
between layers. Vibrating the mold with the still fluid plaster fluidizes it
further and fills the voids.

I've made a cool bug building by making an aluminum foil liner inside of a cup. A
few twisted lines of aluminum foil were pressed onto the sides of the liner. This
was filled with POP. It was a bit difficult to get some of the foil out after
hardening, but you get a fairly organic looking hive building.

POP is fun, and seems to be durable. I might start liking the French for this...

Thane