Re: [Epic] terrain questions (geo hex?)

From: Luca Fazio <luca_fazio_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 09:27:45 +0000

On 31 Mar 98 at 10:07, Stephen Sheldon wrote:

> Time for my $.02,

My 100 Liras too !
You can use (better reuse) packing trays for all sort of epic construction from
industrial complex to single isolated bunker or depot.
Usually I use toys packaging plastics, fill them with plaster and then
primer it and paint with acrilic colours.
I made a lot of bunker, supply depot and research labs from Tonka's packaging
trays (I bought some MotorX car and used engine and other parts as epic power
 generator !!!)

Ciao,

 When I built my hills I
bought 2 sheets of 8'x2' blue
> styrofoam SM insulation, it's 1" thick and quite dense. I planned out the way
> I wanted my hills to look, then I cut out the shapes, some with a hot wire,
> others with a carving knife, then using a craft knife I added the slopes, I am
> more inclined to the shallow sloped hills you can balance figures on, but they
> are harder to make and less practical. I sanded them down thoroughly and the
> using a 2" brush, some lichen flocking (like model railway shops sell) and a
> can of Latex paint I had mixed up, it's grass green in colour, the floccking
> is a lot lighter and more yellow. I paint the hills liberally and then pour on
> about a litre of flock, and use a rolling pin to stick it down. After about 10
> minutes I shake the excess flocking off and reuse it on the next hill.
>
> My ruins and roads are all based on black matt-board (available from a
> craft or framing store) it has minimal warping and is cheap. I glued the
> plastic ruins to the card then using PVA glue, I added gravel to the ruins as
> well as bits of ruiny looking plastic. I then sprayed the whole thing black,
> painted the ruins and then to the border of the roads (all my ruins are
> roadside) I added a green border of afforementioned paint and flocking. I
> find a size 10 brush works very well for drybrushing the ruins. I have made a
> suspension bridge out of car body mesh, plastic scale I-beams and thin steel
> wire, althought the amount of time it took, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
> My woods are a la GW, and I have a swamp I made from mixing swampy coloured
> paint with flocking and painting it on thickly, when this was done I sprayed
> it all with gloss varnish to make it look wet then I sprinkled some flocking
> in patches to represent shallows, and I added a tree with red leaves. The whoe
> thing is about 6x9" and looks very good. Another good terrain piece (apart
> from the 3 generations of epic buildings) is Kinder surprise eggs. The shorter
> side I glue a strip of mesh on as if it were a ladder. I made about 6 of them
> and then painted them silver. They look like silos or storage tanks and next
> to the TL generator are rather good energy storage devices, ... I can't think
> of anyhting else Epic scale at the mo. but I'll post anything I thik of.
> Steve

> When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
> Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of
> the real world around you, but you're still dreaming.
> You may think you can fly, but you better not try it...

Ciao,

Luca Fazio

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/2085/

Please reply to luca_fazio_at_... address only, I have problem with my mail service !! Thank you !