Re: [Epic] terrain questions (geo hex?)

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:07:43 -0800 (PST)

Time for my $.02, When I built my hills I bought 2 sheets of 8'x2' blue
styrofoam SM insulation, it's 1" thick and quite dense. I planned out the
way I wanted my hills to look, then I cut out the shapes, some with a hot
wire, others with a carving knife, then using a craft knife I added the
slopes, I am more inclined to the shallow sloped hills you can balance
figures on, but they are harder to make and less practical. I sanded them
down thoroughly and the using a 2" brush, some lichen flocking (like model
railway shops sell) and a can of Latex paint I had mixed up, it's grass
green in colour, the floccking is a lot lighter and more yellow. I paint
the hills liberally and then pour on about a litre of flock, and use a
rolling pin to stick it down. After about 10 minutes I shake the excess
flocking off and reuse it on the next hill.

My ruins and roads are all based on black matt-board (available from a
craft or framing store) it has minimal warping and is cheap. I glued the
plastic ruins to the card then using PVA glue, I added gravel to the ruins
as well as bits of ruiny looking plastic. I then sprayed the whole thing
black, painted the ruins and then to the border of the roads (all my ruins
are roadside) I added a green border of afforementioned paint and
flocking. I find a size 10 brush works very well for drybrushing the
ruins.
I have made a suspension bridge out of car body mesh, plastic scale
I-beams and thin steel wire, althought the amount of time it took, I
wouldn't recommend it to
anyone.
My woods are a la GW, and I have a swamp I made from mixing swampy
coloured paint with flocking and painting it on thickly, when this was
done I sprayed it all with gloss varnish to make it look wet then I
sprinkled some flocking in patches to represent shallows, and I added a
tree with red leaves. The whoe thing is about 6x9" and looks very good.
Another good terrain piece (apart from the 3 generations of epic
buildings) is Kinder surprise eggs. The shorter side I glue a strip of
mesh on as if it were a ladder. I made about 6 of them and then painted
them silver. They look like silos or storage tanks and next to the TL
generator are rather good energy storage devices, ...
I can't think of anyhting else Epic scale at the mo. but I'll post
anything I thik of.
 Steve

When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of
the real world around you, but you're still dreaming.
You may think you can fly, but you better not try it...