Re: [Epic] Battle report and comments (LONG)

From: Erik Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:15:00 -0400

> The range question had to do with--if most of my march move was within
> range of enemy units, but I end up out of range, the march move didn't
> really make me any more vulnerable.

Ah, ok, understood.

> I've wondered about making the march move guys move twice their normal
> move in the movement phase, and once again in assault, just to give
> point at which they could be shot at along the way. Or say an enemy

That's a pretty good idea and I'd be willing to try it as a house rule.
Your point is well taken and I think this is a good solution.

> I don't think so. I've made proposals that slightly increased the
> average (use minimum of two dice, so results can be from 1 to 6), but
> general wanted most common results to be lower. I don't really want a
> result to be possible, so the latest version says use the lower of
> but double 6s mean 0.

Ok, mea culpa there.

> Yes. By far the real problem was the situation they were in--way too
> close. (Until I remembered the 30cm firepower. :)

Yeah, that 30cm FP is very nice, and they have the movement to get close
enough to use it if they've been suppressed at long range. Scorpions
are just very, very, very handy to have around.

> The question was more whether I had to adjust to battlefield events,
> than whether I was allowed to. Since I sent those jetbikes back to
> somebody in my back lines, and didn't want them to go after the guys
> behind them, it didn't make any sense that they would spin around and
> after the guys they were running away from when their real targets
> gone. However, with no support for this kind of thing in E40K, this
> sort of flexibility doesn't really work. When the possible enemies
> weren't so far apart, it would be easily mis-used. They don't want
> Assault orders to be used for fast movement, without the penalties
> March moves have, I guess.

Hm, I think you are right about the reason for the rule, in that the
assault move might be too powerful otherwise. However, I have found
that moving parallel to my enemies (and it's a distance that must be
maintained, not necessarily to one given detachment) gives me pretty
good flexibility even with the rule as it is. Plus, the 5cm minimum
move is about the same as staying put so the effects of having your
intended target disappear can be minimized. Look on it as a
reorganization/adjustment period. I guess once something gets behind
your lines everything gets more complex, too.

I find as the Eldar I am usually still doing a lot of assault and march
moves to keep my opponent on guard and guessing, so taking away that
limitation may give the Eldar too much of an advantage (?).

Regards,

- Erik