Re: [Epic] Titan Legion rules vs. Epic 40k

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 11:22:23 -0400

L. Brian Hayes wrote:

> Anyway to make a short post longer. I started to read the rules for Titan
> Legions and it said it was compatible with Space Marine.

        Actually, it *is* Space Marine - the TL box basically
replaces the original SM box, but TL contains some new rules
and clarifies some old ones.

> I never Played
> Space Marine so I don't know how well the rules worked. But for reading the
> rules for one day it seems like Space Marine / Titan Legions was a much
> more rule/chart lookup game compared to Epic 40k.

        Ha! Well, rule lookup - yes. Chart lookup - no.
Memorizing the stats of the various units comes pretty easily,
it's all the special unit rules that can slow things down.

> I like Epic 40k but am
> planning on trying out the rules for Space Marine to see if I like them
> better or worse.

        In order to really play you'd need all the various
supplements for each army - Armies of the Imperium (IG & SM),
Renegades (Eldar & Chaos), Ork & Squat Warlords (guess), and
Hive War (nids). TL only details a few random units from
each army, and not really enough to play with.

> What is the general thought of the group?
> A: With only playing Epic 40K would the Space Marine rules seem more
> involved?

        The SM/TL rules by themselves are less complex.
However, many of the units have their own special rules, and
this makes the game more complicated. It also makes it a pain
to play against folks who are rather unreasonable, since GW
likes to mix fluff in with it's rules and what happens when
one special rule comes into conflict with another is rarely
explained (age old example: Doom Weavers vs void shields).

> B: If playing Space Marine first does Epic 40K take away from the game?
> I think you get the point of my question.

        ? How could E40k take away from SM/TL? The two
don't really have anything in common.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"My mind is going... I can feel it." - 2001