Re: [Epic] Titan Legion rules vs. Epic 40k

From: John Chapman <john_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 12:02:32 +1000 (EST)

> I don't see the problem.
>
> (I'll go so far as to suggest that there are NO inconsistancies in SM/TL...)
        Ok lets try these for a start - a Wave Serpent shield is impenetrable -
 Warp Missiles and Shokk AGs dont actually go through the shields (they go
around them in a manner). Ok you cant SEE the WS but relative to the shield
you know where it is. Can these shoot the WS. If a WS runs down a unit does
it get to roll dice in CC (the faq says yes but going by the rules the only
other effect that is worded such that ' a unit may do nothing else this turn'
(Warlocks paralyze power) says it doesnt so a fair assumption based on that
info alone.....). What happens when something 'destroys' a model with regen.
If this effect is a doomweaver template does a model which is destroyed and
then regenerates (under the faq ruling) move or get stuck under the template
again? Shields - namely the sticking together and locking up deal. In a
number of cases void shields are noted as being different to other types of
shields. Are they in this case? If you target a barrage missile at the nearest
non-command unit to a command unit does the command rule prevent you from
running a line of barrage templates right over the command unit ignoring other,
perhaps even better, targets?
Heck theres a lot of dodgy ground in SM/TL-
even more without the Q&A. Heck just the DW and WS generate reams in themselves.
Other rules (such as Weirdboys not having power for turn 1 - what did they
just popinto existance at the start of the first turn - heck when the game
starts theyre surrounded by angry orks why no power/head pop roll or flyers
not being able to shoot THawks because they cant go on first fire (heck the
different shooting penalties btw other flyers and THawks always sucked)) abound
such that interpretations are needed. Any counter argument that 'common sense'
can resolve them may be factual but it doesnt take away the fact that the rules
are often ambiguous enough to need interpretation.

> Void shields state that whenever the shielded model takes a hit it loses a
> void shield.
>
> Doomweavers state clearly under what conditions they inflict a "hit".

        Ummmmm Ill try and remember to go reread renegades tonight but.....
arent the rules for DWs written such that if an immobilised model gets
caught under a template it is automatically destroyed. And it was never a real
problem immobilising a titan. Wave serpents (depending on how you read the rules
), Warlocks and leg hits (read vibro cannon......)could all do it.
I dont think it
actually mentions anything about hits. If you enter the dangerous realm of
reading fluff then you can make an argument that the threads move slowly
enough to float through the shields (just like CCers can run through them).
DOnt the DW rules merely get modified by 1+ armour and make no mention of
shields (I think that led to a problem at one stage - ok this titan has 1+
head and body - what about the arms.....Or WAS that covered in the rules.
*sigh*).
> Nowhere do the rules state that Doomweavers ignore void shields, so why is
> there a debate?
        Cos the way I remember the rules were written - void shields negated
hits and DWs 'destroyed' rather than 'inflicted hits' on their targets in the
case of immobilisation....
        JAC