[Epic] OT GW Marketing & teens, was The Atmosphere of the 40K universe

From: Elaine P <elainepat_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 06:47:56 PDT

Aaron Roudabush wrote:

<snip>
>I understand that they've done it to appeal to a younger audience, but
that
>begs the question: Why??? They should know that younger people can't
afford
>the prices for the number of mini's that you'll need. Hell I can't even
>afford the ones I really need (after all I can't afford to pay the
$300+
>that I still need for a good Marine force and that's AFTER I've got 2
>Tactical Sq., 2 Terminator Sq., and all my characters). If they lowered
the
>price of the miniatures (you can stop laughing maniacally now) I could
>understand it, but as is? Nope. Total contradition in goals. They can
either
>get younger players or lots of money. They shouldn't be able to do
both. But
>somehow they're managing it and the older more mature audience is
getting
>shafted on both ends of the deal.

Here in the U.S. it is not uncommon to see 14 & 15 year olds with wads
of cash thick enough to choke a horse. These kids have more free time
to play the game & have more disposable income than people old enough to
have a driver's license. Parents seem to give the kids larger amounts
of cash to ease their guilt for being more distant to their children and
perhaps to "buy" affection in some cases.

I've also heard movie critics state that the film industry also targets
the same age group for the same reason, more free time & disposable
income. Some film producers work very hard to avoid the "R" rating.

Look at it this way, a 14 year old would not hesitate to plop down $25
bucks for some "kewl" minis, while I would have to debate whether to buy
the minis or have my nails done ;-).

--Elaine
"Sing, O Goddess, of the bitter wrath of Achilles ...."