Re: [Epic] The Atmosphere of the 40K universe

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:45:36 -0400

Aaron Day wrote:

> WolfSamurai wrote:
> >
> > I remember seeing a message a few days ago where someone made the comment
> > that 40K is a happier universe than back in the RT days. I must admit that
> > though I've never played RT, I HAVE read some of the articles in it and I
> > feel that 40K would be better off if it had remained a dark, forboding, and
> > gothic place. I admit I chose to play Marines because they seemed like
> > "Good" guys, but the way I imagined it they were the noble defenders of a
> > dying Empire...
>
> I've been playing Warhammer since 1988, 40K since 1986 (when it was
> Laserburn) and Space Hulk since 1991 (off and on for all of them) and I
> don't see that much major change in the background.

        There must have been SOME change, considering that
WolfSamurai sees his marines as "noble defenders" when they used
to be rabid psychos in the RT-era. That's a fairly major change
in my book...

        Another big alteration is the knowledge of Chaos. Back
in times past, it used to be that no one but the Ordo Malleus and
the Grey Knights even knew that Chaos existed. IG armies used to
fight off Chaos hordes were exterminated afterwards. Marines
were too valuble to destroy, so they were mind-wiped instead. Now
it seems like everyone knows.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"I felt like I was becoming scientifically interesting." - Heart of
Darkness