Re: [Epic] game scale

From: Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 22:12:34 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Peter Ramos wrote:

[snip]

> inclusion of skimmish type mechanics. What I have heard of e40k and its
> focus on the assault and infantry is another return to make a grand
> tactical game look and feel like a skirmish game (which it is not!). The
> real scope of epic the basic unit of movement is the detachment a large
> body of men, therefore present method of resolving close combat is
> detailed enough for this scale( 2 d6 + CAF), getting in to more details
> of smaller scale in epic will invariably lead to problems, thus the more
> it looks like 40k-the less epic it will be, different scopes and scales
> do not mix!!

Rumor Control online...

I'll have to disagree with you here, Peter. The resolution for CC in
Epic40k is at the detachment level. A winner is decided by comparing
detachments and adding in a random factor (d6). Although each individual
unit adds to the detachment it is as a detachment combat is either won or
lost. In comparison Space Marine Epic (old Epic? AT Epic? I dunno..)
each battle is fought individually, with each unit rolling for it's combat
resolution. In E40k the unit level is only used after the combat has been
decided to determine which units are destroyed.

If anything E40k is a larger scale because of it's abstraction when
compared to SMEpic. On the table it is a smaller scale due to the shorter
ranges and emphasis on assaults, but I don't think that's what were
talking about.

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon |
full of tapes hurtling down the highway." (Tanenbaum,1996)
ptobia_at_... http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy