Re: [Epic] Jetbike question

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 18:22:52 -0400

Francois Bruntz wrote:

> In this way it's cheesy but the general idea is very interesting. After
> all, why couldn't we use the bikes' pilots as standard infantry.

> Let's buy a bike squadron (one stand of 3 bikes) for 10 points.
>
> Then during the party, we need the pilots of these bikes to enter a
> building so we decide to dismount them, they become a standard infantry
> unit. Of course this unit can't have the stats of a Tactical Space Marine
> unit (pilots havn't got the same equipment),

        It's not just that, there is also the number of troops.
If you dismounted a bike unit, you'd have 3 marines armed with
short-ranged weaponry and not 5 marines with a mix of weapons
like you would have for a normal stand. Your example does work
pretty good in the case of a bike stand but falls apart for
similar units.

> this is how to calculate the
> new stats :
>
> Bike Mvt : 35cm Range : 15cm FP : 1 AV : 2 Armour : 4+
> Tactical SM Mvt : 10cm Range : 30cm FP : 1 AV : 3 Armour : 5+ Fast
> Fire,Stubborn
>
> For each stat (mvt, range, FP, etc...), take the lowest value :
> Bike Pilots Mvt : 10cm Range : 15cm FP : 1 AV : 2 Armour : 4+
>
> This rule would be realistic without being cheesy.
> What do you think about this?

        OK, so I buy some attack bikes and want to dismount the
troops (2 marines, driver & gunner). I would get something like:

Move: 10cm Range: 30cm FP: 1 AV: 1? Armor: 4

plus Rapid Fire and Stubborn. Those 2 marines, without any heavy
weapons, are just as good as shooting as a normal 5-marine fire
team. And for some reason they can shoot farther than the 3
marines that dismounted from the attack bike stand.

        And what about dismounting the marines from my Rhinos?
Predators? Land Raiders? Why not? How do you determine the
stats in those cases?

> In fact, I do think that these rules... kick ass! YES! I did it! ;oD

        Yea gods, we've created a monster...!

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"All good people are asleep and dreaming"