Re: [Epic] Epic rumours

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 15:44:26 -0400

Thane Morgan wrote:

> I noticed this trend last year too. They demanded that retailers pre-order 12
> boxes of gorkamorka and a case of sisters of battle. Two or three other
> retailers in town banded together to get the boxes; my friend managed to move
> all of GM through proactive sales to the ork nuts before they figured out that
> the game sucked and was out of scale from 40K. He got stuck with about a dozen
> sisters of battle when he had his close out sale.
>
> I think that instead of deciding what was best for retailers, they wanted to
> shift the risk to retailers. Supply side economics and economic darwinism at
> once; the strong retailers will figure out how to push over-produced products
> while the weak are buried in inventory. Pushing the conspiracy theory farther;
> Who wants to bet whether GW stores have to order 3 boxes at once? Or that they
> can transfer stock easily betwen stores. Thus GW stores have another economic
> advantage over private retailers.
>
> Thane

For awhile GW was nice and just made you have to order $300 worth of stuff. I
remember the only way my store (the one I go to) had lots of trouble stocking
citadel paints because he couldn't just order the paints he didn't have when
people came looking for them, he had to shell out the $1000 or so to buy a whole
rack.

Tyler
I hope GW hurts enough to rethink policy, and not enough to die out