[Epic] Epic rumours

From: <daburton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 May 98 22:16:03 -0400

     I've sat by and listened to tons of rumours about the upcoming GW
sale and what it forbodes for GW. First, I have to say that I'm one of
the "old timers" buying into GW games since about 1983-1984. I've seen
some good sales from GW mailorder through that time (but to be
honest....I haven't seen a REALLY good one since about 1990). At one
time GW had a 100 figures for $75 sale (now THAT was a really good
sale)...and at others they've had "clearance" on certain gaming items at
up to 80% off. It is about time that they had a good sale. Even with
the 35% off in the U.S. and the 50% off in the U.K...GW still doesn't
lose a single penny. Why? Because these are still less than a retailer
buys product from GW. When we call to get the 35% off here in the
states...we're still paying 10% MORE than what a retailer pays for the
same product..but we, as the consumer, get the savings. I do have a
gripe, and it's about why we don't get the 50% off as the U.K customers
do. We're talking about calling the U.K. and ordering from there at the
50% off prices...which will MORE than make up for the $15 or so
shipping...but I digress.
     What does this sale forbode for GW? As I said, they're still making
as much of a profit from the sale (if not more) as they would if they
simply sold to retailers...so it probably means nothing. If epic is
discontinued tomorrow, it wouldn't mean anything to the many epic players
out there already, because you would STILL be able to buy the models from
mail order. Same goes for Gorka Morka. Sure, the core rules may/may not
be available, but at least the models would be. Man-O-War was
discontinued ages ago, and yet you can still order those from mail
order...same goes for space fleet. What it means to become discontinued
is simply that public support for the game will wain and become non
existant...it doesn't mean we all have to stop playing. All the pieces
(sans chaos and titans) have been released to date, so that shouldn't be
a problem. As for titans...I believe that you can still order them from
mail order, so that shouldn't be a problem for players either.
     Now don't get me wrong...I dislike GW's practices as much as anyone
else...but I think that reading too much into such a piddly sale (and,
overall it is piddly...unless you play epic) means little to nothing.
Doug