Re: [Epic] Magnus the Red in E40K v1.1 upgrade

From: Richard Desnoyers <rdesnoye_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 12:08:21 -0600

Actually it's more of a downgrade. Hopefully the following will address
some problems and balance Magnus out.

Thank-you very much Stephen & Scott for your input and insight.

#1 - At 09:16 AM 6/1/98 -0700, Stephen Sheldon wrote:
>> Magnus the Red - Character Summary:
>> Speed: 15cm
>> Range: n/a (*100cm)
>Range at 30cm should be ample, after all, he is still infantry. I think
>max range would be 45cm (Add about 4 or 5 points...)
        [Snip]
>Sounds like fun...

I hope so, that's what it's all about after all :)

#2 - At 06:21 PM 6/1/98 -0400, Scott Shupe wrote:
>> Another quiet weekend has given me an oppertunity to work on some ideas
>> that I've been toying with for some time now.
> Oi! None o'dat here! This list is strictly for
>placing bets on the date of Epic's demise, and for "me
>toos" whenever someone volunteers to mail something out.

The well spring of Hope is eternal . . .
        . . . and the offer of some "free stuff & fluff" is sure to never go
unanswered.
However, requests should be done by way of private e-mail.

>> Magnus the Red - Character Summary:
>> Range: n/a (*100cm)
> Quick comment: 100cm in SM/TL equates to 60cm in
>E40k. 22 points is an amazing deal for a 100cm DR anyway.

Interesting note on the change in distances between the two games.
One which needs to be recognized and compensated for.

I agree with both of you that a 100cm Death Ray is a little extreme, and
for a mere 22 points much too powerful, not to mention unbalanced. I was
thinking this when I first posted the message, and was hoping to get some
feedback about it, which I did.
Now to correct this problem . . .
For some reason it didn't click in at the time that the +22 point upgrade
to mount a DR on a Mekboy Speedsta (which was my reference as to a point
cost) had a range of 30cm. While I'm not sure how the game designers
figured out the point value, if you divide 30cm by 22 points you come out
with a point value of 1.3636363 per cm of DR range. I've decided to go
with a 45cm for the range of the "Beam of Power." 45cm divided by
1.3636363 gives us 33.00 points; the new cost of the BoP. This means that
the price of Magnus jumps from 80 points to 91. Hopefully he is now the
better for it. Use him well, and enjoy :)

        Magnus the Red, Chaos Supreme Commander, version 1.1

Character Summary:
Speed: 15cm
Range: n/a (*45cm)
Firepower: 0 (*1)
Assault: 6
Armour: 6+
Special: Save, Psyker, Skimmer,
                *Beam of Power (='s a DR, use standard E40K rules)
Point Value Breakdown:
Daemon Prince: 45 pts.
Abilities:
- Psyker +10 pts.
- Skimmer +03 pts.
- Beam of Power +33 pts.

Total Cost: 91 points

Comments, Suggestions, & Constructive Criticism, as always, are welcome.

Richard