Re: [Epic] Fluffy IG Question

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:42:23 +1000

Tyler Provick wrote:

> > I have been kicking around one thought for a while now. It's a new
> > ability -
> > ENVIRONMENT. Cost +2 Points.
> > Troops of the right type of Environment add +1 Assault value (due to
> > local knowledge of ambushes, be it via hidden Ice Crevasse, rigged
> > Radioactive sludge pipe, or Headhunter Tree). They also count Dangerous
> > terrain of that type as normal.
> >

> 2 points is too cheap, Assault Marines are like 4 points more then normal marines,
> and they get +1 assault, maximum range 15cm and Jump Packs.

> 3 or 4 points are more even, it could be very helpful to ignore difficult terrain

Your arguments are good, and I'd considered them: but also consider the
following:

The +1 assault is only in the right type of terrain. Your army of
Valhallan IceWarriors don't get any benefits unless on the patches of
the board marked "ice sheet". Which could be rather rare on a desert
world.

Consider the +4 for Assault marines: They cut the firepower range from
30cm to 15cm, a big negative. OTOH.... they ignore intervening
terrain(about the same benefit as ignoring Dangerous terrain OF THE
RIGHT TYPE), move at DOUBLE SPEED normally, and Triple when Charging,
(very big bonus!), and as icing on the cake, a +1 assault.

And such things apply in 100% of the board, not just the 0-20% of it
that's of the right terrain.

So... in summary, I think +3 is WAY too much in comparison with Assault
Marines. Compared with +2 for normal Assault troops, it's a bit high,
but then again +2 is a bit low. I['d be interested in other opinions
though, and some more playtesting.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo