[Epic] NEWSFLASH - Epic future under doubt

From: Carl Woodrow <carl.woodrow_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:09:47 +0100

I know a lot of folks on the list have been wanting to know when the Chaos
army is finally going to be released. I can now reveal that the army will in
fact be released in the UK this weekend (i.e. Saturday 20th). The army is
featured in this months White Dwarf which is due out tommorow (thursday),
which I was fortunate enough to be given a sneak preview of.

One of the reasons that the release has been kept so quiet, but not the main
reason, is that a decision was made by GW management a few weeks ago to
discontinue the Epic gaming system immediately following the UK Overstock
clearance sale. I am happy to say that the decision has now been overturned
and the future for Epic looks a lot brighter. Although I am not informed as
to why the decision was taken to discontinue Epic, I can only speculate that
it was due to disapointing sales. I have been informed however that one of
the reasons for overturning the decision was due to the likely backlash from
gamers if the Epic system was dropped for the third time.

Now that a decision has been made to continue with the Epic system it would
appear that GW are going to continue supporting it in the medium term at
least (i.e. at least the next 1-2 years). This would seem sensible as plans
are definately afoot to release Epic scale WHFB within the next 12 months,
although any firm news on this is still strictly unofficial and merely based
on comments by GW staff after seeing not only plastic Epic scale spearmen
but also metal Bretonnian Knights in Epic scale.

Anyway...for those who cannot wait for WD the Epic Chaos army is as follows:

Unusually for Epic the army comes almost entirely in one box which slots in
somewhere between the standard infantry boxed sets and the larger army
deals. The box contains not only the new infantry, but also a collection of
'metal' vehicles as well. The vehicles include Rhinos, Predators, Land
Raiders and Command LR's and what could arguably be a Razorback or two. It
is difficult to identify the immediate variants due to their somewhat
'chaotic' look. One thing I would say is not to take too much stock in the
picture in last months WD of the 'spiky' rhino. The new LR's look awesome as
do the new Predators.

The infantry included (as I could see) are Noise Marines, Terminators,
Thousand Sons, Khorne Beserkers, Standard Chaos marines, Cultists, Beastmen,
Flamers, Daemonettes, Blood Letters and Hounds,Plague daemons and others
that I cannot remember (I only saw them for a few minutes...sorry)

Because of the size of the boxed set it retails at a whopping 25.00 UK
pounds. This may seem a lot, but the box does seem to contain a great deal
of infantry and vehicles for the money...it remains to see if most gamers
can afford to splash out that kind of money in one go.

Other releases are going to be the Khorne War Engines which are exactly the
same as previously, the new Plague Tower and Catapult, and the Firelord
(which also has not changed any). Finally the Slaanesh walkers round off
this weekend releases.

I have a few more interesting items concerning the future of some of the
other gaming systems, namely Necromunda, but as this is predominately an
Epic list I will refrain from going off topic unless there is a real demand.

I hope this clears a few mysteries up :)

Regards
Carl

Carl Woodrow
Project Gene-seed and Dropship designer