RE: [Epic] NEWSFLASH - Epic future under doubt

From: Carl Woodrow <carl.woodrow_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:54:41 +0100

>>The real question is: do you get 5 stands of each of the listed types, or
do you
get real detachments. I think its pretty crappy that everyone who wants
another
unit of plague marines has to buy all the rest as well, but I guess the
"Brain
Trust" decided that gamers don't like having a choice, and are more than
willing
to shell out for a lot of stuff they don't need. Maybe they figure we'll
give
the extras out to get new players.<<

It looks like 2-4 stands of most types which as you rightly point out means
either a) a lot of redundant troops which you will have to swap, or b)
buying 3 or more boxes to be able to make up sensible detachments.

Now, I have mixed feelings about this because although there are a lot of
minis packed into the box (especially the vehicles) I prefer to design my
detachments myself and buy the minis needed. This really robs the player of
choice and makes Chaos IMHO one of the most difficult armies to collect (not
to say costly).

tragically the only way players can hope to put a Chaos army together at
reasonable cost is to hunt out Grand Openings and take up the buy 3 get one
free deals. This means a big outlay of capital up front then no new minis
for months...not an approach I approve of because it takes away the pleasure
of buying a new blister or box every few weeks when you have had a chance to
paint what you have just bought (I'm rambling now aren't I?)

In line with the way that WD has changed over the last few months I get the
feeling that GW are trying to force new players (and old) into buying larger
army deals that they select. I have noticed the last few issues advertising
army deals which IMHO are nothing to get excited about...for example, buy
all six GorkaMorka muties and save a staggering 2.00 pounds Whhoooeee!.
Either way, regardless of the savings (or not as the case may be) I would
rather see the pages of WD displaying that month's releases broken down into
component numbers (so I can assemble my own) rather than four pages telling
me how lucky I am to be able to buy that months battle report army for a
mere 158.00 quid.

In the past you and I have knocked heads over anti-GW flames, but in this
instance I have to fully agree with your sentiments...why has the gamer been
robbed of choice?.

I too am glad that the Epic system is now staying in place and am also
fortunate that even whilst not having the time to play much I continued
stocking up on minis in case it ever got discontinued (I couldn't resist the
overstock clearance last month of half price and less for Epic).

Either way, I do not really have to worry about the new boxed bundles as I
probably have enough un-opened boxes to start my own store!, but I cannot
help wonder how new players can hope to be given a chance of building up a
decent collection without first selling the car.

With luck GW mail order may sell the sprues without the vehicles at a
'sensible' price. I will endeavour to find out and let this list know.

Regards
Carl