Re: [Epic] Universe idea....

From: Larry Irish <wirish1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 19:44:38 -0400

>Yes, I think there are some similarities. But I think there are even more
>similarities to the Empire in Asimov's Foundation series.

Absolutely! There is scene in one of the books, I think the first, where
the guy from the Foundation (sorry, it's been 8+ years since I read them)
visits a nuclear power plant being tended by 20th-plus-generation
technicians (ie, "the father of my father of my father.... tended this
ancient machine and I now tend it in his place"). This whole situation,
where the people maintaining the equipment no longer really understand it's
use and pray to it in hopes of appeasing it's fickle nature, really smacks
of the "Feel" of, say, the TechPriests & the whole Science-Fantasy genre .

I've always wondered if Rick read the Foundation trilogy... :)

Larry