Re: [Epic] Universe idea....

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 13:39:37 -0400

> This got me thinking.......(cloud of smoke clears...)
> Has anyone ever compared the Dune Universe to the 40K one? There are some
> similarities that struck me....like the Sardaukar from Dune, the fore runners
> of the Marines? And could it be that the Emperor of 40K fame is the Atriedes
> boy who changed himself? The navigators from Dune seem to be only mutated
> versions of those from 40K. With so little fluff about pre-rise of the
> Emperor, and considering that the DUn 'verse is some 20000 years in the
> future, is this a plausible idea? Or have I just finally flipped?
> Josh

There are similarities. In fact I borrowed a bit from Dune in the creation of my
Obsdian Empire. You may remember the Fedaykin, which was Paul Atriedes Blood
Commandos who wore stillsuits (Black) and painted blood on their shoulder pads.
Hmmm, my marine scheme is black with red shoulder pads. Could that be why I
called them Fedaykin?

It is more then just the Saudaukar that are like Marines, it was also the Fremen
who were taught how to fight by the atriedes but were even better then Saudaukar.
Kinda like different marine chapters.

The whole thing is very Dunelike, although I think Dune was the originator on any
borrowed similarities (Although the idea that Frank Herbert played Rogue Trader
is kinda cool)

Tyler