Re: [Epic] Universe idea....

From: Aaron Day <akkala_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 14:06:55 -0500

Tyler Provick wrote:

> The whole thing is very Dunelike, although I think Dune was the originator on any
> borrowed similarities (Although the idea that Frank Herbert played Rogue Trader
> is kinda cool)

You've got to realize that the "universe" predates Rogue Traders by
about 10 years. It wasn't so much created as evolved. Originally the
game (called Space Farers) was just about space pirate gangs fighting
each other (its resemblence to Necromunda is strong). Later (Laserburn)
enemies were added. First of these was the Imperium. It had an Inner out
Outer "zone" with most of the games taking place in the wild frontiers
of the outer zone. The main for of the Imperium were the Inquisitors and
the Black Guard (who wore power armor). Back then power armor looked
close to Stormtrooper armor (remember, this was back in 1980). The other
enemy were the Red Redemtionists. Hmmm, sounds familiar.

The term "Space Marine" wasn't used until RT. By then, Aliens had
popularized the term.

I think the most influencial source for plagerism was Judge Dredd. Alot
of the "world" (esp Necromunda stuff) was heavily influenced by that.
Reread your old comics and you'll see what I mean.

Aaron