Re: [Epic] OT - Computer hassels

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:11:02 -0600

> My Win 95 has begun to freeze up after 8 to 9 minutes from boot up. No error,
> just completely unresponsive to any stimulii. If I shut down by turn off the
> computer or hitting the reset button after the freeze, It makes me run scan
> disk. Sometimes it finds ~60K - 120K of lost files, which I've been deleting.
> It also takes a long time for windows to boot up after the first windows wall
> paper comes up (I've got a p200mmx).
>
> If I reboot prior to the freeze, say 7 minutes, it does not reset the
> counter; it will freeze a minute or two later. If I reboot by actually
> shuting down and reseting it will reset the counter, and I get another 8-9
> minutes of use out of the computer.
>
> I can't find any IRQ or Comm conflicts. The newest peice of hardware is a 56K
> ZOOM modem; it worked fine for about two weeks before any problems showed up,
> so I don't know if it is fair to blame it. I reinstalled win 95 over top of
> win 95, but it did not help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thane Morgan

  Thanks for those who responded to my plea for help. Thanks to Chris Pinson
(yeah, the guy I'm most prone to flame at) and Colen McAlister, I narrowed the
problem to my modem. Upgrading the modems flash memory has seemed to fix the
problem.

In gratitude and to make this on topic, they both will recieve some sort of Epic
Stuff. Both should respond and tell me what they are looking for (no chaos boxed
sets, please.) Just a wish list, so I can decide what to send and they can be
surprised.

Not to insult the other contributors, but they helped the most. The power of the
Web revealed!

thane