[Epic] more 40K( big load of studd from portent)

From: Geoff Kemp <geoffkemp_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:12:51 +0100

Apparently, the reason for the big GW sale was not only to generate
interest in the current games but to make room for some new game that will
be released as soon as the remaining 1,000 40K boxes left at the GW US
factory are sold.

<Picture: [-]>Cypher is going to play a larger role in the 40K world and
the Emperor doesn't die. GW has spent way to much $ in copyrights to alter
the story that much. What they will be doing is using Cypher as the reason
the marines fight each other.

Imperial Fists and Crimson Fists are new mini Codex's (A new White Dwarf
cover will be an updated version of the Crimson Fist last stand)

<Picture: [-]>Power Armor will have a 3+ un-mod save, but heavy weapons
will cut right through it as will power weapons (This is more a
confirmation as I've posted such info before)

H-T-H rules significantly different, especially against vehicles ( get out
of the way or die sorta thing)

<Picture: [-]>Beekie marines will make a come back and that all marines
will have a close combat weapon in addition to bolt-pistol. CC will also be
more like Necromunda & Fantasy (Necro- alternating weapon strike if using
two weapons, no benefit from slung weapons; Fantasy-we both get to attack,
to hit based off WS skill chart, parry will modify the roll rather than
forcing a re-roll, if loser fails a LD modified LD roll the run-away

Emporor revealing himselfresults in a second warp rift the on the scale of
the eye of terror

Emporor does not infact die but rather becomes the 5th Chaos God. Odd this
one but it does give the Imperium a reason to fight as half support him and
half don't. A few people will be a bit sceptical of tyis one but I
personally think it will be pretty interesting if it does happen. We shall
see.

These rumours comes from a source who has been quite accurate in the past,
and are apparently from an ex-member of GW staff. A few of these are really
conformations rather than new rumours, but there are some unheard rumours
in here as well.

<Picture: [-]>Warhammer 40,000 will be pre-released at Games Day 98 and go
on sale in the stores during the first week of October. No price has been
set as yet but expect it too be in the �50-60 region.

<Picture: [-]>The rules have been streamlined and the whole system will
play very much like Warhammer Epic 40K. As I've reported on Portent before
new points costs will be very low and the typical army should be around
500pts including vehicles.

<Picture: [-]>Vehicle combat will be made a lot quicker and also vehicles
will come as a base when buying them for armies (ie a Leman Russ and then
the weapons and sponsons are extra) This will allow for conversions and
will tie in with future releases that will allow you to convert many of the
vehicles.

<Picture: [-]>Psionics is to get a complete overhaul and instead of the
usual nasty spells that have been in the previous editions, 3rd edition
will concentrate on agumenting hand to hand and missle skills of troops.

<Picture: [-]>Dark Eldar. The Dark Eldar will some of the best looking
range that Games Workshop has ever done. They look very simialar to normal
Eldar, but if you imagaine the armour plating on the old Eldar Titans and
try to picture that on a miniature you will not be far off. Also a major
character in the Dark Eldar forces will be Arhra, the father of the
Striking Scorpions. He is a huge miniature and will perhaps be as large as
Orion the Wood Elf character.

<Picture: [-]>As far as my source can gather the Codexes will continue and
the old books will be re-written in line with the new system starting with
the Eldar and Space Wolves. Expect to see many small booklets (like the
Assasins codex) in the next few months for many of the chapters and some of
the alien races.

<Picture: [-]>Anew alien race will be introduced to 40k but it wont be
until next January at the earliest, although hints will be seeded in White
Dwarf. The race is still under tight wraps at the moment but look like they
may be the creators of the Necrons. Expect them to be totally alien to
anything else in the Warhammer universe.

<Picture: [-]>Warhammer Regiments. The latest regiment for WFB is previewed
in this months White Dwarf. The Empire soliders are of a smaller scale than
normal GW miniatures as the Perry twins are marketing the plastics (without
the box) via Gurnesy Foundry for an upcoming system that Byran Ansell and
Rick Priestly are working on. I will hopefully have more details on this
soon.

Prepare for an absolutely massive, new 40K information overload. Some of
this info is truly amazing and pretty damn accurate, trust me. Remember,
you heard it here first!

<Picture: [-]>The Games Day UK 'thing' is going to be a huge mock up of the
massive assault on Emperors palace by Chaos . A gorgeous 40K scale Chaos
Reaver Titan will be included. Sounds simply wonderful.

<Picture: [-]>Almost all Eldar models are being redone and it is going to
be the first new codex to come out. The logic behind this is that the
models have been around for so long that they need a new, fresh look.

<Picture: [-]>Points costs are being totally and utterly redone. 10 or so
points for rhino, 50 for an assassin. 5 or so points for a squad. Like I
said, really changed.

<Picture: [-]>Dark Eldar are Eldar that survived the fall. Slaanesh is
constantly sucking their souls away. The only way they can stop this is by
killing so that Slaanesh can take the dead souls instead. Very, very
macabre indeed. But we like that don't we.

<Picture: [-]>Space Marines finally get rules that really make them out to
be the Emperors finest. Power armour is a fixed 3+ unmod save. Terminators
get 2+ fixed on one dice. If they don't move they can shoot once at 24
inches. If they don't move and shoot they may shoot 3 times at 12 inches.
Run and shoot at 12 inches. Now they truly are la creme de la creme.

<Picture: [-]>All the new models are gorgeous. Bloody gorgeous. Trust me on
this.

<Picture: [-]>Power weapons will offer no save along with most heavy
weapons.

<Picture: [-]>Hand to hand combat will be worked out like Warhammer. So it
will be a lot faster now.

<Picture: [-]>The scenery in the new box will be plastic ruins like the
Epic 40K stuff and plastic palm trees will also be included.

<Picture: [-]>New bolters are fantastic. They look like the pulse rifles
from Aliens. Very good news indeed.

<Picture: [-]>Space Marine models will have waist and head sockets jointed
allowing for lots more really cool poses.

<Picture: [-]>New missile launcher looks very different but much better,
very much like a shoulder mounted Imperial Guard mortar.

<Picture: [-]>The new las cannon looks like a sniper rifle to end all
sniper rifles.

<Picture: [-]>The new Space Marine Sargent is going to be holding a motion
detector and a storm bolter.

<Picture: [-]>Legion of the Damned get their own codex as well as a proper
army and a story (see further down). They will get around 45 different
models with flames and skulls adorning the armour. Very dark yet very good.

<Picture: [-]>Here is the story of the Legion of the Damned! No more
wondering about where they are from:

The entire Fire Hawks chapter was sucked into the warp millennia ago , well
before the Heresy. Half of the chapter survived, the other half being
destroyed. The survivors were cursed and rotted and slowly died (so they
get older but stronger), but their mortal bodies grew stronger until they
became very, very tough indeed. They are damned and can not produce any
more marines.

Like I said. Very, very exciting indeed.

<Picture: [-]>White Skulls, Imperial Fists and Black Templars are all made
into chapters.

<Picture: [-]>The codex for marines works very differently. There will be
one fat marine codex and then little ones for the chapters. Each chapter is
also going to be radically different from each other. Foe example, all
Blood Angels will suffer from the red thirst.

<Picture: [-]>Ork models will be much bigger. They're going to lose BS but
gain WS, and gain an extra attack when charge. So they're much more
barbaric. None of this fiddly weapons stuff, they are Orks and dey iz hard
az nailz!

<Picture: [-]>There is going to be a new plastic Dreadnought and land
speeder (the Land Speeder will possibly make it into the 40K box)

Once more I have to say that I'm not going to state any of my sources
regardless, on this or any other rumour. I can guarantee that it is from a
very good source but no more

This one came from a very good source who, as usual, I will not be
revealing. Sorry Games Workshop!

Necrons will get a Codex. Almost certainly.

<Picture: [-]>Also, there will very soon be a tank appearing on the scene
which will be rather nasty.

<Picture: [-]>They are Egyptian looking for a very GOOD reason!! The Necron
Warriors are just the Robot Workers/Fighters of an Ancient Alien Race.
Based on the one in "StarGate" hence the Egyptian connection. The Necrons
are controlled and animated by these aliens much like Undead Lords control
and animate Skeleton Warriors.

<Picture: [-]>The Emperor dies! The last hope for humanity finally gives up
and returns to the other dimension of the warp.

<Picture: [-]>After and due to the death of the Emperor the Imperium is
torn into a state of anarchy and massive civil war breaks out between the
marines!

<Picture: [-]>New models are being created for the marines. The new models
will represent the now near guerilla style tactics. The marines now carry
all of their equipment around with them and have a lot more of a rough and
ready look.

<Picture: [-]>The box set will have five separate leg styles,five different
chest pieces, five different heads, and the usual assortment of arms, but
with two new style backpacks. Also there is a big accessories sprue that is
apparently got loads of stuff on it. Extra ammo clips slung round the
shoulders, loads of stuff to be hanging of their belts and backpacks, medi
packs and such like, and also big searchlights that'll make em look like
they're from aliens!

<Picture: [-]>The game itself may adopt an almost Necromundic feel, perhaps
adopting a similar campaign system. Still in early stages though.

<Picture: [-]>Box set will include some of the new space marines, a plastic
land speeder model and Dark Eldar.

<Picture: [-]>Info on the Dark Eldar is still pretty scarce although my
source claimed he'd heard that they wear skin tight body suits with holes
in them (?) and use a new weapon called a splinter gun.

<Picture: [-]>The feel of the game is going to be very post apocalyptic.

<Picture: [-]>The tech priest armies are happening, as the Imperium
crumbles the tech priest mobilise their own forces to protect the might
machine god, and there may even be another race (??????).

<Picture: [-]>It should be out in November, after games day.

<Picture: [-]>All the studio armies are being repainted to suit the darker
and more sinister atmosphere of the game including some very dark and
broody tyranids that are all blacks, greys and dark oilly blues (ALIENS!!

Geoff Kemp

geoffkemp_at_...
geoffkemp_at_...