Re: [Epic] Newbie Questions

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 00:04:42 -0600

Paul Welling wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> First off, if I read the rules correctly, the Space Marine Land Raiders
> seem awful tough! 2 shots/turn, hit on 4+? Is that right? The rulebook says
> "2x anti-tank". Very powerful...

Absolutely powerful. When you are playing against them, never walk into their
overwatch. Try to avoid them, make them move to you so your normal troops have
a chance to hurt them. Another fun tactic is to run cheap infantry into them;
you can get 5 gaurd for 1 land raider, so if you lose three to kill a land
raider, so what (don't tell the men I said that!). If an opponent insists on
playing 10+ land raiders per detat, lay artillery on it to paralyze its move
and stay out of its way. Blast markers are the best defense against Land Raider
detats. Orks can do well with a combined pulsa rocket/ deathray attack on LR's,
though it takes some careful manuever as the LR's have better range.

> Another thing: It's kinda unclear about bikes/boarz.. does each piece
> represent one unit, or does a stand of 3 equal a unit? One Marine combat
> bike has a firepower of 2; The ork battlewagons only Have a fp of 1..
> Doesn't seem right.

Some list member calim this is sacriledge, but you used to base 2 bikes to a
stand (20mm square base). This lets you put more bike units out for the money,
and still looks good on the battlefield.

> Also, if anyone has any advice, tips, stories, etc.. we'd LOVE to hear
> them.. We are just getting into the whole thing, so any tidbits would be
> muchly appreciated! :)

Force Brian Hayes to write a battle report on the gaurd/bug battle. It should
be good (since I play bugs mostly now!)

Welcome to the fold. This is the best wargaming list I've been with.

Thane