Re: [Epic] Chaos Land Raiders

From: Aaron Day <akkala_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:26:56 -0500

Tyler Provick wrote:

> > 1. Make their AT attacks hit on 5 or 6s instead of 4+
> > 2. Treat all AT shots as 1 FP unless shooting at vehicles.

> Number 2 doesn't change much, as it is vehicles that AT shots are most usefull
> against. As for making their AT shots hit on a 5 or 6 plus, what is the point of
> taking them? Really all you get is an extremely expensive 2 FP tank, which is also
> slow.

Not really, a 5+ AT shot is still better than 1. Allow me to demonstrate

Number of kills based on a 10 vehicle detachment

                4+ AT 5+ AT
Land Raider 10 6.66

                3+ Armor 4+ Armor 5+ Armor 6+ Armor
Leman Russ 10 7.5 5 2.5

You can see that the Land Raider out performs a Leman Russ against all
enemy types. I costs only 10% more and is slightly slower but has
transport capacity. With a 5+ AT shot it is better than the Leman Russ
against armored targets while worse against soft targets which is how it
performs in 40K. This table doesn't take into acount the AT shots power
of picking a target which is a huge benefit.

> Personally after playing against a SM army with a huge tank detachment composed
> mostly of Landraiders, I can't complain. Marines may be a more forgiving army, but
> I don't think they're better then any other. Sure if someone is powergaming Land
> Raiders are too powerfull, but it's a moot point if the player is powergaming.

Unfortunately the Land Raider comes with the box and is a common weapon
accourding to the fluff, so a detachment carried around by 10 Land
Raiders isn't unfluffy.