Re: [Epic] Chaos Land Raiders

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:49:28 -0400

Jonathan Westmoreland wrote:

> > How come no one complains about Chaos having Land Raiders, it's the
> > same
> > cost.

        Because no one plays Chaos? =) And they're really
not the same cost because of the whole Stubborn thing.

> I've been waiting for this one.
>
> Seeing how Chaos can not only take Land Raiders, but
> Predators, Daemon Engines, and Imperial Guard tanks
> (also artillery. I don't have the Armies book in front of
> me, so I can't verify this).

        No IG arty. Not that you really need it, though
it would be nice to have access to a Barrage (not Heavy
Barrage) weapon.

> All of this comes from being
> able to field not only Chaos, but Daemon detachments
> and Chaos Cult detachments.
>
> I can see some really, really evil Chaos armies coming
> out in August (when the Chaos stuff is finally released).

        Well with everything being released hodge-podge
inside a big expensive box, I kinda doubt it. Any evil
armies will come from people who bought the older figures
and were able to pick and choose which units they wanted
at what strength.

> Being a Chaos player who has yet to field a Chaos army
> under the new rules, I like this. But, what about everyone
> else?
>
> Have any of the other Chaos players fielded one of these
> mostly vehicle forces? If so, how did it fare?

        You can't. Or rather, it's pretty tough. Remember
that the army cannot have more pure armor/WE detachments than
infantry detachments. Doesn't sound that bad, but it can
be a pain when you actually sit down to construct your army.
In order to get around this, you can take infantry detachments
with armor/engines as support, but then you're basically
paying extra for your vehicles. Also, take a good look at
the Cultist detachment - access to IG tanks is very limited.

> For everyone else, do you get the feeling that Chaos will
> be even more evil than Marines? (I do.)

        Uh... will be? Some of us have been playing Chaos
armies since e40k was released...

        The most evil Chaos army I can think of would be
tons of Contagions... But you can build the same sort of
army with Eldar or even the bugs.

        And what's possible with Chaos now is NOTHING compared
to what you could do in SM/TL, where you could take ANY IG
unit and just about any SM unit, plus all the Chaos stuff.
Talk about potential cheese...

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Don't you laugh, damn you, don't you laugh!" - Clockwork Orange