Re: [Epic] Land Raiders

From: Aaron Day <akkala_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:44:52 -0500

The Forgotten Spice Girl wrote:

> Ok, this is just getting gross. I'm getting really tired of the LR are
> cheesy argument. Please, stop the whining and look, for a moment, at the

First of all, we are not talking about cheesyness here. My problem is
not with the Land Raider but will the underpricing of all AT weapons.
The Land Raider just happens to be the easiest target cause it has two
and has a similar profile to other vehicles.

> Space Marine army list. I know that the makers intended a mixed SM/IG
> army when they created that list, but unlike most players I think they
> were mature enough to create balanced detatchments that reflect the
> relative rarity of Land Raiders. If you read the codices for 40K, only
> the 1st company and captains of other companies would have acces. That
> leaves, at most, 21 Land Raiders per company. Now, when creating a Space
> Marine force, do you really think that you would risk half of your supply
> of your best tanks in ONE battle?

Sure they would. A Space Marine chapter is a pathetically small military
organization and would normally be fighting against overwhelming odds.
1000 chapters with 1000 men is 1 million men. In WWII, on the east
front, the russians lost 20 times that number. The entire Ultramarine
chapter would have been crushed by the Red Army.

Also, the drivers for all the SM vehicles are space marines themselves
and so count against the 100 men/company limit. You wouldn't be able to
field 20 stands from one company if you had Rhino's or Land Raiders
transporting them as some of those stands would be in the vehicles.

> Again, as I see it, the Marines and IG are not one and the same. I don't
> object to seeing them together, but taking SM infantry & tanks, and IG
> armor and artillery detatchments is just plain wrong! Even though the IG
> have a huge variety of tanks and artillery pieces, they are (IMHO) an
> infantry army. Sure they have huge tank columns rolling over the enemy,
> but what about those massed troop companies??

Unfortunately, the IG is not a infantry army cause its the only army
penalized for large infantry detachments (50 pts)

> What is this rambling message getting to?

Hopefully a minor rule change to inprove the balance of the game. I
currently support 1 fp vs infantry and must shoot at closest vehicle
otherwise.

Now, if we could fix the disrupt problem ...