Re: [Epic] Chaos Terminators & Artillery detachment

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 12:53:02 -0400

Carl Billen wrote:

> Has anyone made a detachment consisting of only Chaos Terminators ? It's
> just that they can be upgraded to Noise Marine Terminators, which results in
> a unit having a range of 45 cm AND a save ! Of course they are extremely
> expensive (27 pts a unit), but aren't these the troops with the longest
> range and Save-ability ?

        If you're using Gavin Thorpe's SM chapter-specific
detachments that appeared in WD, Space Wolf termies can (for
whatever reason) be upgraded to Heavy Weapons, and for less
points than the Noise Marines (of course). Oh, and they get
a better Assault Value, too.

> Also, I am planning to make the following artillery detachment :
>
> 3 Chaos SM Units with Heavy weapons and 3 Chaos Artillery pieces.
>
> This would cost me 3x21 + 3x50 + 25 (HQ) = 238 pts.
>
> I am wondering : should I add a Chaos Lord as the HQ unit for an extra 25
> pts ?
> I would, of course, upgrade him to a Juggernaut, which is the best free
> upgrade you can have; Armour 6, Assault 6, Speed 20/30 + Save, as a bit of
> protection against close assaults.

        If you have the points and the model to spare, there's
no reason not to... The lord won't make a big difference in a
sit-back-and-shoot detachment; if your opponent gets the chance
to assault the detachment he will most likely avoid getting into
base-to-base contact with that stand.

> The reason that I have to add Infantry units is that I managed to get hold
> of quite a few Chaos engines and Titans, but for each 'Chaos Armoured
> Detachment' I have to field a Chaos Infantry Detachment. I have 2 Plague
> Towers, 6 Contagions, about 8 Khorne Engines, a few Slaanesh Titans and some
> Chaos Fliers, but almost no infantry ! So I have to make some infantry
> detachments (to which I can add Artillery and Daemon Engines), just to be
> able to field my War Engines !
>
> Has anyone had the same problems ?

        Yeah, it is annoying. Luckily any Supreme Commander
counts as a infantry detachment and is usually cheap, so I usually
take one just for that reason. Cultist detachments are also a
good choice as they also tend to be rather cheap. But even still
I generally have to cut back on the number of vehicle detachments
I take, since I refuse to do anything like taking an all-DE det.
and making it a CSM det. by adding a few 10-pt bike stands.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Who's laughing now?" - Evil Dead II