Re: [Epic] Re: Overwatch & indirect artillery

From: Aaron Day <akkala_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:22:54 -0500

REMPORT131_at_... wrote:

> I see we need a new topic for discussion.
>
> How many of you believe as I do, that any artillery ( disrupt, barrage , hvy
> barrage) in epic should not be allowed to go into Overwatch unless they have
> LOS.

Overwatch is kind of a misnomer. What it represents (at least I think)
is a unit achieving a maximum rate of fire by not moving etc. Because of
this, I don't have much problem with OW artillery.

> Overwatch indicates that they are taking careful preparations to fire. How can
> they prepare if they cannot even see their target. I understand that observers
> could help them but to me its not the same as actually seeing where the rounds
> land. Besides, artillery in WWII was never able to wipe out entire detachments
> anyway. I was meant to soften up the other army for the main attack. If WWII
> artillery was written up as EPIC it would probably be rated with Disrupt
> abillity not Barrage or Heavy Barrage. I have nothing against artillery in
> EPIC I just wish that it was written a bit more realisticly.

Remember that artillery in epic is a high rate-of-fire short range
bombardment against enemy troops preparing for an enemy assault, not
hiding in bunkers. Because of this, I see nothing wrong with killing
units.