Re: [Epic] Dune (First Numbers-Long)

From: Francois Bruntz <Francois.Bruntz_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:18:41 +0100

Josh a �crit :

> Ok gang, here's what my deluded and deranged mind has produced.......
> A few notes, 1) I tried to do things so as not to limit the potential
battles
> strictly to Arrakis. I hope that any Lansraad war could be fought with
these.

The only problem will concern the shields which can't be used on Arrakis
because of the sand sworms.

> 2) The time period is post Atreides take over, prior to the death of
Leto.
> 3) I did take the Ordos from the game, as I needed something more to
expand
> with. 4) Vehicles I'm still hemming and hawing over. Not sure what
there
> should be, and what to base them off of. I may steal the ones from the
pc
> game.

I think standard IG vehicles could be used : as Herbert didn't speak about
them we can imagine that there was no real innovation.

> 5) I recall there being artillery in the Harkonnen invasion, but
> didn't see a need to modify the standard IG stuff. Can somebody confirm
the
> existence of Art'y?

The artillery used during the Harkonnen invasion was old stuff which was
not used because of shields. The Baron Vladimir managed to surprise the
Atreides troops by using this old artillery against the mountains where the
last Atreides soldiers were trying to resist. I don't think this kind of
artillery is currently used by the Landsraad Houses.

  6) These are rough, 1st draft stuff, with no point
> values. I suck at pv's, so if someone could take up that end? And now
for
> something completely different, the stats...
>
> Unit Spd Rng FP Asslt
> Armor Special
> Sardaukar 10 30 1 2
> 5+ Stubborn, rapid Fire

I would see an AV of 4 for the Sardaukars which are the best warriors of
the galaxy (except Fremen).

> Freemen 10 15 1 4
> 4+ Stubborn, Assault

I agree. Someone on the list talked about giving them Infiltrators, this
could be interesting I think.

> House Reg. 10 30 1 1
> 3+
> House Loy. 10 30 1 1
> 3+ Stubborn
> Upgrades- Harkonnen (Hvy Weapons); Atreides (Rapid Fire); Ordos
> (Infiltrators);

Why did you give these special upgrades? Did you follow the example of the
video game or did you find all this (except Ordos of course) in the books?

> Lasers (AT shot); Shields (save)
>
> Lasers and Shields- If a Laser unit hits a Shielded unit, which makes its
> save, then place a 1" template centered on each unit. The two units are
> automatically destroyed, and all other units under the template are hit
on a
> 4+. Only applies if the shielded unit makes its save.

Yes, I like this rule. We can imagine a special rule on Arrakis : during
the final phase of each turn, roll a die for each detachment where there
are shields. On a 4+, the detachment is attacked by a sand worm and suffer
a 5d6 FP attack, or something like this.

Good work! :)

Fran�ois Bruntz (ICQ : 14112031)

L'ORDinateur's Home Page
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bruntz/