[Epic] Not playing much lately

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:26:40 -0400

> I think that the biggest problem is in fact that almost none of
> us are playing
> right now;

That sounds pretty perceptive. For one thing, I'm pretty lazy, and don't
look forward to picking a scenario, setting up terrain (Geohex is nice, but
takes some work), and playing a game that takes forever. Elias and I got
together Saturday, but I taught him Blood Bowl instead of playing Epic.
(Fun, too, though his Orcs beat my Humans 1-0.) (Blood Bowl took a long
time, too, but it was Elias' first game.)

I had to remind him about the rest of our battle report from last time. He
posted a teaser, and never got around to admitting how soundly I beat him.
:) (We generally say the loser has to post the battle report.)

The scenario, as Elias posted, was a semi-silly one, with large sea shells
moving in a "herd" diagonally across the board. We used scatter dice and
some rules to figure the direction, and some dice (I forget how many)
multiplied by some number (I forget how much) to figure how fast they moved.
They're much bigger than minis, so they pretty much wipe out anything at all
in their way.

I played Space Marines, he played Orks.

At one point, they looked like they were coming right through my lines. I
risked a bit, and got out on an island that was safe. Meanwhile, Elias
pretty much broke my armor detachments on my left side. If he had been able
to exploit it, he'd have wiped me off the table. (I didn't do so well as I
said above. :) But there was a shell or two coming into where his guys
were, and rather than face those, he backed off. I _think_ he could have
done differently, and still used his advantage there, but I'm not the one
who would have had to risk so much, so it probably looks different from his
side of the table. With his armies on that side backed up, I could hit them
with long range fire from my Warlord Titan.

The other side of the board had us picking off each others' psykers with
psychic blast cards. There was some exchange of fire, but the critical
moments were all close assaults and firefights. We both did some assault
phase actions that used the rules of the assault phase to best advantage.
He made some things tough for me at the beginning with a fast detachment,
but at the end I was able to do a firefight with three detachments and
pretty much rout them. He suffered from a detachment with no boyz left and
so was out of command, which hurt a lot.

So I won, but the moving terrain and the useless Ork detachment were a big
part of it. He still had a gargant, but it was way down at the other end of
the board, and my Titan was going to start picking off more of his central
forces.

Elias gets to pick the next Epic scenario, since he suffered by this one.
But it was fun.

andy