Re: [Epic] Broken units

From: Beller <mbe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 08:45:07 +0200

----------
> From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
> To: space-marine_at_...
> Subject: Re: [Epic] Broken units
> Date: 2. august 1998 12:00
>
> Alexander Braaten wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone!
> >
> > Units that lose a firefight or assault are broken. They
> > stay broken untill they rally in the rally phase. Now if they
> > fail this they remain broken and can only make a "retreat" move
> > of 20cm.
> >
> > 1st Q.: If they end up whithin 15cm of the enemy after this _second_
> > retreat are they destoyed?
>
> As far as I can see...
> Good Question.
> Any Broken unit that ends the Assault / Firefight phase within 15cm of
> the enemy after a retreat move is KO.
> The question is, what about OTHER retreat moves? I would say No.
>
> Consider the following: A detachment gets broken, and fails to rally. It
> then retreats in the normal move phase. If it ends up within 15cm of the
> enemy, there's going to be a firefight. If it loses (rather likely), the
> units comprising it CAN retreat again, and if at the end of this retreat
> any are within 15cm of enemy, are destroyed.

I have read the rulebook to find out what it says on this. It doesn't make
any distinction between a retreat move made because you are fleeing from
combat and retreat moves made because you couldn't rally. According to
this, units WILL be destroyed if they end their move within 15cm of the
enemy.

Close combats and firefights only occur if the enemy engages you.

                - Beller -
Faithful servant of the Hive Mind