RE: [Epic] Broken units

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 07:56:37 -0400

> I have read the rulebook to find out what it says on this. It doesn't make
> any distinction between a retreat move made because you are fleeing from
> combat and retreat moves made because you couldn't rally. According to
> this, units WILL be destroyed if they end their move within 15cm of the
> enemy.

I was going to agree with Alan, and looked into the rule book to find some
support. But the close combat rules on page 25 say the detachment is broken
as described on page 28. Page 28 says you can be broken by close assault or
firefight, and that you may must make a retreat move when it breaks (enough
to get out of 15cm), and may do it later. Then it describes retreat moves:

"A retreat move may be up to 20cm, regardless of a unit's actual Speed.
Retreat moves may be made in any direction, and the normal terrain rules
apply, but if a unit ends a retreat within 15 cm of the enemy, it is
destroyed (it is 'killed while trying to escape'!)."

So I think you're right. (Just providing some rules reference support.)

> Close combats and firefights only occur if the enemy engages you.
Not sure what you mean. Close combats occur when enemies are in contact
(fits what you're saying), but a firefight must be held between opposing
units within 15 cm (p. 26).

andy