Re: [Epic] Broken units

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 23:08:22 +1000

Andy Skinner wrote:

> > I have read the rulebook to find out what it says on this. It doesn't make
> > any distinction between a retreat move made because you are fleeing from
> > combat and retreat moves made because you couldn't rally. According to
> > this, units WILL be destroyed if they end their move within 15cm of the
> > enemy.

Good Point. In practice, what is a "retreat move" due to failing morale
though? It's a move of _UP TO_ 20cm, and in a direction away from the
enemy, right? Thinking about it, it _does_ matter, because it is
possible that if you lose initiative, the enemy could surround your
low-morale unit in the normal move phase. You then have to make a
retreat, can't get out of 15cm, and go bye-bye.

OK, I concede the point. I agree with you, there is no difference. Any
time you retreat, and _end up_ within 15cm of enemy, you're toast.

I have me doubts about being able to do this in practice though: when
surrounding, you have to stop at a distance of 10cm due to snap-fire.
Consequently, providing the low-morale unit has a "footprint" of over a
40cm diameter, all that will happen is that it will contract inwards a
bit.

> I was going to agree with Alan, and looked into the rule book to find some
> support. But the close combat rules on page 25 say the detachment is broken
> as described on page 28. Page 28 says you can be broken by close assault or
> firefight, and that you may must make a retreat move when it breaks (enough
> to get out of 15cm), and may do it later. Then it describes retreat moves:
>
> "A retreat move may be up to 20cm, regardless of a unit's actual Speed.
> Retreat moves may be made in any direction, and the normal terrain rules
> apply, but if a unit ends a retreat within 15 cm of the enemy, it is
> destroyed (it is 'killed while trying to escape'!)."
>
> So I think you're right. (Just providing some rules reference support.)

Yup, so do I.

> > Close combats and firefights only occur if the enemy engages you.
> Not sure what you mean. Close combats occur when enemies are in contact
> (fits what you're saying), but a firefight must be held between opposing
> units within 15 cm (p. 26).

Yes, my point was that if the enemy is within 15cm (so as to stop
retreat options), there's going to be a firefight anyway (no choice).
--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo