Re: [Epic] Rampage & a House rule

From: Greg Lane <greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:54:36 -0500

Andy Skinner wrote:

> > Woudl you apply this alternate unit removal to anti-tank fire, as
> > well? Or do
> > you just roll the handful of dice and the attacker takes all the
> > good stuff off
> > the table?
>
> That suggestion was intended just as a tweak to Elias' proposal for close
> combat removal.
>
> We've always played that AT fire was aimed--we declare shots before rolling.
> (By the way, Elias, who posted the suggestion I responded to, is one of my
> usual opponents.) Although I think that rolling dice and picking your own
> targets is the official Epic rule for CC, I've always assumed that AT fire
> had to be declared first. So the ability to pick your targets is a bit
> offset with having to declare them first.

We have also always declared AT fire with designated targets, as you have. We
find this best, too. And, while we designate all fire and then roll, we always
roll for AT fire after FP, so some of your AT shots may not be there for you to
hit, but that just accounts for overkill in our view. Fire the AT at what you
REALLY want to kill, in case it survives the FP.

However, as I understand them, the rules actually call for the hand full of
dice method on AT and then the shooter removes those units he wishes to hit
with the AT fire. And, the shooter can decide to fire AT or FP first, at his
discretion. This just gives AT fire way too much power in our view ... not
fair or realistic ... ;i.e., not a good game mechanic or a good simulation!

Greg Lane