RE: [Epic] Rampage & a House rule

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:04:36 -0400

> Woudl you apply this alternate unit removal to anti-tank fire, as
> well? Or do
> you just roll the handful of dice and the attacker takes all the
> good stuff off
> the table?

That suggestion was intended just as a tweak to Elias' proposal for close
combat removal.

We've always played that AT fire was aimed--we declare shots before rolling.
(By the way, Elias, who posted the suggestion I responded to, is one of my
usual opponents.) Although I think that rolling dice and picking your own
targets is the official Epic rule for CC, I've always assumed that AT fire
had to be declared first. So the ability to pick your targets is a bit
offset with having to declare them first.

I wouldn't mind combining the methods a bit--I think declaring your targets
and then remembering what you said while you're shooting makes things a bit
slower. I've thought about treating AT shots as throwing one red (or other
non-white color) die for each AT shot along with the FP dice, and treating
the result as one greater than shown, but otherwise the same as FP: assign
hits front to back, to the closest target you can hit. (I never really
specified about blast markers.) Similarly, you could roll a red die for
each AT shot and use the current 4+ for each red die, and also assign those
hits front to back along with the FP hits.

That restricts your choice of shots, and if there are a large number of
infantry and you don't have much FP to hit them with, you may spend your AT
shots at infantry rather than tanks. So I'm not crazy about that. We'll
probably continue to let the firer pick their AT shots, but declare them
before rolling any.

andy