Re: [Epic] 40K history?

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 11:59:54 -0500

> From: duckrvr_at_...
>
> >The Imperium suddenly became a politically correct culture. The Imperium
> >suddenly cared about humanity, boldly defending it against all enemies (and
> >they just keep numbering up) The Emperor was transformed into the good guy,
> >and ambiguous term at best of times. And Horus and the traitors changed from
> >misled marines to real bad guys.
>
> Of course they became politically correct, it's good for sales. Look at
> D&D. No more demons or devils, the Nine Hells became the Grey Waste, etc,
> etc. While most people on this list seem to be relatively mature adults,
> the stuff in the old _Realms of Chaos_ was a little harsher than most people
> would want their adolescent child reading.

        Well sure, but even with toning down the Chaos stuff, there was
no decent reason that I can see to turn the Imperium into the 'good guys.'
It caters to a simplistic black-and-white view of the game universe that
does not strike me as neccessary, even if you are aiming the game at
teenagers (hell, most teenagers would probably prefer the original
background over the newer version).

        I think the game became 'PC' not out of any ulterior motive for
better sales, but rather because that's how Andy & Jervis interpret the 40k
universe. And they're the ones in charge now. Perhaps when someone else
takes their place we'll see a resurgance of the old Rogue Trader-era history.

> >Me I prefer the horrible, doomed, Imperium of the past. I prefer the
> >hopeless situation they were left in.
>
> Much more complex and adult. Much less effective for business.

        I don't think it would make a difference either way, sales-wise.

Scott
shupes_at_...