Re: [Epic] Newbie to Epic

From: Greg Lane <greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:03:35 -0500

Epic 40K is probably the best game and simulation on an
operational/tactical level I have ever seen ... in almost 40 years of
gaming! Virtually every "old" Epic player I have found who says they do
not like the new game has changed their mind, once I have showed the the
richness and subtlety of the new game and it excellent gaming and
simulation aspects.

Sure, there was a loss of tactical flavor ... not eliminated, just
reduced to simplify and speed up the game. but, now you can fight
battles with 3000 pts or more in an afternoon ... easily, and you could
not do that with the "old" Epic system.

Please do not get me wrong, I have played ... and have ... and still
occasionally play Space Marine and the 2nd edition Epic rules. they are
both great games. Both are more tactically oriented then the E40K
system, however. I admit that my penchant for operational miniatures
based games colors my opinion here ... but I maintain that E40K is the
BEST!! I truly love it!!

If you have not tried it, please do ... preferrably wiht someone who
knows and loves the game ... and then make up your own mind. I am
convinced that if you approach it with an open mind you will agree with
me.

So many "old" Epic players are more upset with GW for fiddling with
THEIR game that they have not really looked at the game to see the
benefits of the "new" system. It takes a little more work, becasue it
contains so many balancing elements ... ther eis not a single way to win
that must always be followed ... every tactical choice has an
operational and/or tactical counter and I never fail to find new sublte
twists to trip up my opponents and then am pleasantly surprised when
they find a counter I have not seen. This system has years and years of
exploration and play in it ... almost as much as chess and so much
richer ... but, don't get me going!!

Greg