Re: [Epic] Another Epic40K vs NetEpic post :)

From: Mike Looney - ionet <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 09:41:35 -0500

Scott Shupe wrote:

> Not that E40k is generic to begin with; anyone who claims
> this hasn't played or hasn't played that much. The different
> armies are NOT the same - each one still has an individual feel
> to it.

The things that I have heard:

1) loss of Ork tanks.
    My reply: I have a handful ork tanks here. Please ID them for me.
No, you don't get to grab the book, do YOU know. (this is a cheat, as
several are "custom" [and I did it BEFORE E40K btw]). Beyond "Generic
Battle Wagon" and "Gutripper" no one has gotten more than 30%

2) Loss of Ork Clans.
    My reply: Design your detachments to fit the fluff. There are MORE
types of Ork infantry than there used to be now.

3) Chaos/Blood axes can't take every thing in the book that Imperials
get as well as CSM and Demons/orky bitz
    My reply: This is a good thing. If you want to play Imperials play
the m$%$%$ers

4) Army design takes all day.
    Do them before, like when you are painting the suckers. What? You
don't paint your army? Go away then you are a munckin

5) Movement vs weapon ranges.
    This is a good thing also, this means that your tactical movement is
based on what the enemy is doing, not the speed of the AFV. Most modern
era/WWII era games are moving towards this (for the last 15 or so
years). Non tactical movement can be quite fast (even infantry can move
45 cm a turn marching down a road)

Not saying that E40K doesn't have some problems, but it IS the best set
of wargame rules that GW has put out.

Speaking of that, some people have been saying that SM 2nd "is more like
a wargame", to which I feel that I must reply

"Have you played a set of rules written after 1980?".
The 1:1 micro detailed armor rules in the classic "Tractics" and WRG's
various rules sets are NOT what "current" wargame rules feel like.
Granted Epic SM 1st ed was based on "Combined Arms" but it was not until
E40K that they got the feel right. CA/CD turns should take about 15
min per turn, assuming that each player is running 1-3 battalions.
Command Decision 3rd edition actually has simpler basic rules than E40K,
(but, I will grant you that even a "minor" country has more types of
units than there are in Epic in total)

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com