[Epic] Battle Report! Orks vs. Eldar, 2000pts

From: Brian Thomas <bthom37_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 15:43:17 -0500

Friday night I fought a 2000pt battle between Eldar (Eric) and Orks (me).
Eric is a long-experienced Epic gamer (who hadn't played E40K since July),
going back to SM. This was my first game.

My army:
WARBAND
Command
Warboss-40pts
Weirdboy-20pts

Main Force
4 Nobz-56pts
6 Skarboyz-66pts

Support
2 Flakwagons-40pts
Total:222pts
Morale:5
1/2 Strength:7

Mounted on the following

WAR ENGINES
3 Battlefortresses-255pts
Morale:6
1/2 strength: DC6

KULT OF SPEED
Command
Warboss on a battlewagon-45pts

Main Force
12 Battlewagons-168
Total:213
Morale:5
1/2strength:7

These Carried:
WARBAND
Warboss mounted on a battlewagon-45pts
(screwed up, Warboss should be 54pts)

Main Force
4 Boyz Mob-36pts

Support
4 Big Gunz-56pts
4 Pulsas-56pts
Total:193pts
Morale:4pts
1/2strength:7

WARBAND-(this used all my Boarz)
Warboss mounted on Boarz-44pts

Main Force
7 Boarboyz-91pts
Total:161pts

KULT OF SPEED
Command
Warboss on a bike-40pts

Main Force
4 Bikeboyz-52pts
Total:92pts
Morale:2

KULT OF SPEED
Command
Warboss on a bike-40pts

Main Force
3 Bikeboyz-39pts
3 Buggies-33pts

Support
2 Speedstas, one Lifta-Droppa, one Death Ray-76pts
Total:188pts
Morale:4

WARBAND
Warboss in a Stompa-64pts
Weirdboy Battlewagon-26pts

Main Force
4 Stormboyz-48pts
1 Boyz-9pts

Support
2 Stompas-64pts
Total:211
Morale:5

SUPREME COMMANDER
Warlord-50pts
Mounted in a Gargant-350pts

Flyboyz
HQ+25pts
3 Fighta-Bommerz-90pts

Army Total-2000pts (actually, over by a few points due to the
Warboss/battlewagon error, but that was not a factor)

His Army (As I recall it)

DETACHMENT
6 Falcons
6 Dark Reapers
4 War Walkers
6 Dreadnoughts

DETACHMENT
10? Jetbikes
5? Vypers

DETACHMENT
5 Harlequins
1 Shadowseer
4 Wave Serpents

ENGINES OF VAUL
1 Cobra
2 Scorpions

1 Phantom (I mistook this for a Revenant, THE WHOLE GAME)

I'm not sure if this is 2000pts, and some detats are fuzzy, but this is
basically it. Since he knew it was my first game, he didn't bring flak or
flyers.

We played Meeting Engagement.

There was a road forming a [ (sideways U shape) from the right edge. Hills
were scattered, but didn't play a part (damn skimmers :P)

The Deployment:

We matched each others deployment, both on the left half of the edge (we
played lengthwise), except for his jetbikes, who were unopposed on the right
side. My Boarboyz formed that flank, with my Speedsta KOS holding the
other. His Harlies were matched against them. I had hoped to get my
Speedstas into Lifta-Droppa range (thinking it was a Revenant).

FIRST TURN
We maneuvered for position, me bringing my Battlefortresses and Stompas onto
the road. My Speedsta KOS pulled up behind a hill. My boarboyz began to
head off the Jetbikes. The Bikeboyz marched directly up the middle, seizing
a hill. My KOS transporting made for the same hill (really should have
marched them!)

Initial Morale:
Me: 36 Eric:38?

SECOND TURN
My Flyboyz laid a 9 FP barrage onto the Jetbikes, killing 2. His EOV killed
one of my Bikeboyz. They fired back, accomplishing zip. I moved my
Speedstas back from his advancing Harlies, placing them on Overwatch. I
killed 2 Harlies with FP, the Speedstas being behind the rest of the
detachment. They assaulted, killing a Bike and a Buggie, while I killed a
Harlie.

My center rumbled forward.
Morale: (bad dice-rolling plagued Eric)
Me:36 Eric:32

THIRD TURN:
My Bikeboyz in the center moved to the right edge. My Boarboyz on Assault
closed in on the Jetbikes, who went into OW/Assault, I'm not sure. My
Stompas closed in on the combat between the Harlies and my KOS. His Phantom
advanced. My bikeboyz in the middle took potshots at the Jetbikes, killing
two and, more importantly, placing a BM. His Harlies fire was shrugged off,
while in return my Speedstas killed two Wave Serpents, and my Buggies/Bikez
killed a Harlie. (If I'd been thinking, I would have Death-rayed the
Shadowseer (AV8!), but it was my first game). Then came one crucial moment:
I won initiative in the Assault, and nailed the flank of his jetbike unit
with my Boarboyz, essentially crossing his T. I had a +4 modifier, while he
had none. He rolled: a 1. I rolled: a 4. I was only in contact with one
Jetbike, but it was a very, very dead Jetbike. The 5 BMs placed were
crucial. I lost a Boar.

Morale was not taken this turn.

FOURTH (AND LAST) TURN
My bikeboyz and boarz closed in on the unrallied Jetbikes, sensing panzee
blood. His Harlies, complete with WS's, moved behind a hill to avoid my
KOS, but it wasn't going anywhere. My stompa mob moved towards their
refuge, because I knew my Stormboyz would have little trouble dealing with a
big hill. However, along the way, they met a hail of fire, losing two
stompas, including the leader. My Big Gunz warband unloaded on the EOV and
the Falcons, killing two falcons and placing 3 BMs from Pulsas on the EOV.
He returned fire, but only 4 wagonz and 2 boyz fell to the heavy return
fire. His dreads, and half the Falcons, unloaded on my lead Battlefortress,
scoring 7 hits off of 26FP (he was on overwatch, but did not need to
re-roll, as my Battlefortress was INTENSELY dead). My boarboyz again
stormed after the Jetbikes, annihilating them again, for a grand total of 10
BMs (including 5 leftover) My Stormboyz jumped the hill, and 3 assaulted 2
Wave Serpents. His main Falcon detat supported. I had a +2 in the combat.
I rolled: a 5. He rolled: a 1. I utterly broke his Harlies, and his main
battleline, which had been supporting! His Phantom stripped my Gargants
shields, and took it to 6 DC, then it firefighted the Stormboyz, killing
one. My return fire from the Gargant was useless.

Morale: (my morale should have been higher, but I forgot the Commander re-roll)
Me:17 Eric:-3

Lessons:
Jetbikes: Contain nice panzee snacks for the Boarz. Bad Ld rolls, and BMs
prevented effective use. Once I got stuck in, my boarboyz rolled up the line.
Bikeboyz: Need more minis. Great Harassment/Skirmish troops.
Speedstas: 30cm range means they have to be in front, with the buggies.
Battlefortresses: shouldn't be used to transport assault units. Next time,
shooty boyz, to form a 44 FP battle line.
Gargants: Can't take on Phantoms. AT shots kick their booty. Maybe a bigger
Gargant would help.
EOV weren't as dangerous as I'd heard. They really only picked off 1 Bike,
and 3 wagonz.
Blocking LOS doesn't help against Eldar.
Stormboyz: Against Eldar, those Jump Packs come in really useful.
Be careful of which units are supporting (this was true for both of us)
firefights and close combats.
Orks putting their counters back in in the assault phase really helps.
Speedstas range is just too short too put them in the back of detats.

All-in-all, great fun, and we both had a blast. Hopefully we'll do it again
soon. Bad dice rolling worked against Eric, because his battleline was
still mostly intact when it broke. But, his Jetbikes were just draining his
morale, as my boarboyz hounded them back across the table. Still, I really
enjoyed it.

                                                Brian

PS. Except the oaf who spilled a mug of water across my bikeboyz and
boarboyz. No, I wasn't the oaf, thank you.