Re: [Epic] Campaign Rules

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 16:31:42 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Spatula wrote:

> OK, I have a question for all you WHFB players on the list... (and
> I know you're out there)
>
> I've heard a little about the campaign rules included in WHFB 5th
> edition on the warhammer newsgroup and I've become very curious.
> It sounds a lot like each player controls certain territories, and
> your army can only include certain models (like mages) if you have
> the proper territory. Depending on whether you win or lose battles
> your little empire will grow or shrink. The whole thing sounds like
> it could add some flavor to battles without a lot of overhead & the
> need for a referee. So I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Are the rules any good?
>
> 2. How easy would it be to translate them into Epic terms?
>
> Scott
> shupes_at_...

Are you talking about the rules from CJ or the campaign rules from the
WHFB box set? The ones from CJ are rather cumbersome, but not bad. The
stuff from the WHFB set is actually rather good. No strategy, but it
gives you a (simple) method of having change/growth in an army as it
fights. Rather good if you have a gaming group that meets rather
sporadically. Depends on the complexity you want, and of course which
system you were talking about to begin with.

WHFB campaign rules.

Each player starts with a set amount of points (say 1500). You get a
general, a mage (level 1), 1 war machine, and one 50 pt magic
item. You also get a number of territories to start with.

Each territory does something for you. Some give you more points, some
more magic items, some give you more characters or higher mages, some give
you more engines, or some combination of the two at various degrees.

When you fight, you put up one of your own territories, your opponent puts
up one of his, and you roll for a random third one. The winner chooses
the two he wants, the loser is stuck with the left overs. Units can also
get vet status.

That is about it. It isn't half bad if all you want is something to give
some continuity to your battles and you don't want to mess with a long
(everyone must show up) campaign.

As for Epic; I'm not sure what to do. We have talked about this in the
past (at our group), but the problem is that there aren't enough variables
of equal strength in the game. You could start out with a set amount of
points, but after that it gets complicated. Do you limit the number of
Special Cards? Sounds like a good start, but some armies depend on them
more (Squats) than others (Chaos). Do you limit the number of Titans?
Again the same problem. It all comes down to how you do the territories.

I really like the system, I'm just not sure how to transfer all of the
parts over to epic.

Chad