Re: [Epic] Another Epic40K vs NetEpic post :)

From: <dfsch1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:33:50 +1000

> Date sent: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 20:29:39 -0700
> From: tzeentch666_at_...
> Subject: [Epic] Another Epic40K vs NetEpic post :)
> To: space-marine_at_...
> Send reply to: space-marine_at_...

> I find it...odd... that people say Epic40K is so much better then the older
> editions. Personally I think if you play with someone halfway competent in
> the rules and who know the unit abilities, games go very fast. I have played
> LARGE games of 8000+ points (old scale) with 2 Imperators, multiple Titan
> battlegroups, and hordes of infantry against Orks and Eldar in one night.
> the games I played of Epic40K took a LONG time to play because A) We both
> had to keep referring to the books for questions on badly worded rules B) We
> kept moving around constantly and C) Many things were counterintuitive
> (Firefight rules for one are horribly broken, if a good idea).

Couldn't agree more. Titan Legions does play fast if you know the
rules well and the other player knows what he is doing. I find that
setting up seems to drag on the longest, and setting up time doesn't
change between Titan Legions and E40K if you use similar quantity of
miniatures. Of course, the CC in E40K is nicer but I preferred that
my vehicles and troops each act a bit, even if it takes a little
longer to remember their stats. Also, I find that Chaos in E40K
seems to be too much like a Space Marine army, especially since the
simplified stats mean the models act very similar, and many of the
recommended Chaos armies I've seen on here contain about 90% Chaos
Marines and the rest is Flamers or Fleshhounds. I've tried, but with
the rules from the box, about half my figures are downgraded in
points (Daemon Engines, Greater Daemons, etc.) or just cut out
completely. Minotaurs, Trolls, Disc Riders, Juggernauts, Chaos
Squats? All gone. And unless you buy the Blood Reavers box (unlikey
at $70 Aus) you do not have the variety of CSM figures to build an
interesting (figure wise) army.

Anyway, just my opinion on the matter.